Buying a Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

My self catch is a "Filson?" It works most of the time. The price was right :cboy:

The wilder ones seem to do the best. If they are moving hard when they try to get through, they're caught perfect. The slow ambling ones walk in and back up just before it latches. Why did I cull those wide eyed cows again?

shadyhollownj":27soskht said:
We run anywhere from 20 to 40 cows depending upon the season. We bought the tarter headgate from tractor supply for under 500. We mounted it on two 6x6s and used 6' gates for sides attached them to two more 6x6s in the rear. Works great and has a 16' alley too made of wood. No need for an expensive squeeze. Cost us under 900 and even has a concrete floor. Ill get pics up if you want. We even AI all of all cattle in it too.

I would really appreciate seeing your setup, if you wouldn't mind posting some pics.

we have a used filson and love it.....it's not as cheap as a headgate but at the end of the day safety won out over saving $....not saying headgate isn't right for some but for me (and my wife) we thought the squeeze chute was best

Just an update. The price I was quoted was over the phone. I made sure the Lowes guy and me were talking about the same product number. Anyways, I went to go order it today and the price is now $900 dollars higher than what was quoted over the phone........Back to square one shopping around.....and getting quotes on paper.

I really hate to tell you guys this, but i just bought a priefert squeeze chute. I had been using a homade squeeze w/a head gate mounted to it. I was really dangerous for cow & operator. My farther in law built it 50 years ago. It did work good when all went perfect, but as you all know, perfect is'nt constant. Now for the price :shock: $1700.00. But from what I had, It's a Cadalac.
Dan

i just purchased a new squeeze. I have some large cows, and wanted a chute that would handle the large cows with horns or bulls down to the small calves. After researching, I narrowed my search down to Powder River and Priefert. I decided upon Priefert's S04 chute because I liked the ability to adjust the width of the chute, the rear gates, and how the side release worked. I also liked having a chute that had an auto catching and manual catch gate. I purchased with with the wishbone trailer, and got a great deal, so I purchased the palpation cage as well. What I had not counted on was the ability to operate the chute alone. it's also easy to reconnect the wishbone trailer by myself, and balances well. I'm building a new set of pens with the alley and chute under cover. Great chute. I'm pleased. It was a little pricey, but should last for a long time. It's also nice knowing the chute can handle any cow/bull with only a few simple adjustments.

well i hate to say what i gave for prefret squeeze chute last year.i bought a brand new S04 automatic squeeze chute with the carrage for $2975 delivered to the farm.

Well, I got a Tarter Chute delivered to the farm today. I am pleased with the price, and hopefully with the function of the chute.

I been looking for a chute myself and just today bought one from a scrapper in Deland, Fl. for fifty bucks. Needs a little welding, but it's not a total rust bucket, the metal is al in good condition, but a few bars are popped here and there. It'll serve me well for the few head of calves andyearlings I pester with.

I found another in Hudson, Fl for $150 that's still fully functional, but needs wire brushing and a paint job.

Several of you guys have mentioned finding an old used chute somewhere and picking it up for a song. But a question: how do you get the thing home? You're looking at a BIG piece of machinery up to 7 feet tall and upwards of 1,000 pounds. It's not like you can just toss it into the back of your truck.

Ruark":225jt8um said:
Several of you guys have mentioned finding an old used chute somewhere and picking it up for a song. But a question: how do you get the thing home? You're looking at a BIG piece of machinery up to 7 feet tall and upwards of 1,000 pounds. It's not like you can just toss it into the back of your truck.
A couple of chains and a tractor, the same way you would get it off when you get home

Ruark":21ltit77 said:

That seems pretty small to me. The Caterpillar weighs 17,000 plus pounds. Backhoe about the same. M/F 1105 tractor is a close race.

A standard round bale of coastal weighs around 1000 lbs.

My portable unit also has the tube steel panels, chute, medina, cut gates etc. etc. The flat bed is fairly full when it is all put on there. One little squeeze chute is a piece of cake in my opinion. It could fit in several different trailers or in the back of the 1 ton.

I was thinking of using a chain and the loader on my tractor to unload and position it here at my place. No problem there. But my main concern is how to get it into the back of the truck or trailer in the first place, especially if it's sitting in an abandoned weed patch somewhere and the owner doesn't have any such equipment.

It would definitely be easier using a low flatbed trailer with some ramps, and work it up the ramps and into the trailer with a winch (come-along).

I've had to load things the hard way a time or two. When I am manually pulling it on, pipe underneath it rolling it up sure makes a difference. The larger the pipe the better.

the easiest way to get a chute off a trailer is to use your front end loader an hay forks.just slide your hay forks completely through the bars an lift it up an then tilt your forks back so they wont slide off.an then sitt the chute done gently.

Ruark":nvgbi262 said:
Several of you guys have mentioned finding an old used chute somewhere and picking it up for a song.

Now that is the hard part (if the chute is any count)!

backhoeboogie":2l5k5oub said:
Ruark":2l5k5oub said:
Several of you guys have mentioned finding an old used chute somewhere and picking it up for a song.

I hada good used chute I was trying to sell for about 6 months. The price was less then half of a new one. I was told by a number of people that they would rather have a new one because my price was too high. Finallt sold it at auction for just a little bit under the price of a new one. Go figure

dun":2j33qw03 said:
backhoeboogie":2j33qw03 said:
Ruark":2j33qw03 said:

I hada good used chute I was trying to sell for about 6 months. The price was less then half of a new one. I was told by a number of people that they would rather have a new one because my price was too high. Finallt sold it at auction for just a little bit under the price of a new one. Go figure

You see people pay more at auctions than what things cost at a store. I'll never understand that.

Latest posts