Buying a Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

LRTX1

Reaction score
Been looking for a good used one with no success. Found out that Lowes carrys the Tarter line and I can get into the Cattleman Auto Chute for around $1500. We have a small herd varries from 20-30 head (1000-1300lbs) and recently got into buying young calves 10-20 at a time. Would this chute work for tame cows once or twice a year and a few sets of the calves throughout the year.

I really liked the price and the specs seem ok to me. Any other comparibles in that price range?

http://www.tartergate.com/switch.php?fn=catalog.details&cod=CCA&site=che&emp=che

We run anywhere from 20 to 40 cows depending upon the season. We bought the tarter headgate from tractor supply for under 500. We mounted it on two 6x6s and used 6' gates for sides attached them to two more 6x6s in the rear. Works great and has a 16' alley too made of wood. No need for an expensive squeeze. Cost us under 900 and even has a concrete floor. Ill get pics up if you want. We even AI all of all cattle in it too.

I use a headgate also. Bought it used off the veterinarian for $150. Not a self catching model but works well. Welded to the front of the chute..I never catch the head unless I'm doing something to the head like eartagging or tattoing. Just push her up to the headgate and put a pipe behind her to keep her from backing up. Works fine for anything from worming to breeding to preg checking.

After you finally buy one, 4 or 5 will come out of the woodwork.

An elderly couple I help from time to time gave me an old squeeze that's disqaasembled back in the brush. If I were looking, you couldn't find one. Seems that's just how it is.

Congratulations on looking for one now. People usually start looking after a cow is already in bad trouble.

I worked for a vet thru high school and worked cows for folks and myself afterwards. Im not in to name brands but i like those that squeeze from both sides. Seemed to me that the that the rankest cows acted better than being shifted off balance. Jmo

Thanks for the input, still weighing my options. Just tagged and implanted (13) 300-350 lb calves and realized I'm not as young as I once was. Have been lucky that every time we needed a squeeze one was available to borrow immediately. I know there will be a day I wish we had one and it should last for many years. Fixin to re-working our coral system and figured to splurge on a used chute but havent found one yet.

that Tartar chute looks like it would do the job for you. i took the plunge several years back and bought a Preifert squeeze chute. i thought some about just getting a headgate but now i'm glad i have the squeeze (and side door for loading feature) feature. make sure everything is anchored properly and the alley way leading to the chute is the proper width and not too wide. i'm sure whatever you decide, you'll learn how to live with; anything sure beats short lining them to a tree or convenient post, i've been there...

p.s. i've never seen a used chute for sale either

I got a used Powder River, it's 10-15 years old, back when they were still heavy duty. Guy was selling out and moving away. I got it for $200.

Isomade":37awdad7 said:
I got a used Powder River, it's 10-15 years old, back when they were still heavy duty. Guy was selling out and moving away. I got it for $200.
Are you saying the new Powder RIver equiptment is not very good? Just cuz it weighs more does not mean it is not as Heavy Duty.

Isomade":2u6r95sm said:

Rub it in why dont you. :bang:

Kingfisher":3fhjbj33 said:
Isomade":3fhjbj33 said:
Are you saying the new Powder RIver equiptment is not very good? Just cuz it weighs more does not mean it is not as Heavy Duty.
Really? Well I'll be dammed! Who would ever have thought that a heavier gauge steel would last longer? It's a good thing we have your expertise around here.

And I never said that the new powder river equipment want any good. I have both, but then you seem to be the expert. ;-)

I have picked up a couple of old WW's from people buying up farms and either going into longhorns or hay just for the tax exemption.
Which reminds me, one is still right where it was when he gave it to me. I Have to take down all the pipe corals, chutes, calf table and crowding tub too. I have no use for any of it but just can't pass up a deal.
How does one find these deals, or in your case a used chute. Think "American Pickers". When I see a set of pens growing up in weeds I see an opportunity. Most all my hay equipment I acquired the same way. The drawback is I'm starting to look a bit like "Sanford and Son".
I have seen at least 3 old squeeze chutes at the scrap yard recently. All restorable. Scrap is bringing big bucks right now and they are hauling it in like crazy.

I tend to be a junk man myself, always looking for good junk in someones pasture while riding down the road. Prices for scrap are high and i'll probably send some loads myself in the coming weeks.

I was really surprised when I found out our Lowes carries a lot of livestock and farm type equipment, albeit mostly on order stuff. With a 10% Military discount their prices beat Tractor Supply and the likes quite easily.

Just helped some guys put in cidrs, they have a chute just like the tarter had a different name i think big valley I didnt think much of it had 1 cow completly back out after being caught because the bars in the front are straight down to the bottom so she was able to get her head down and back out so we had to put a chain under all the rest solved that problem then the back gate is real aggravating as it has a mind of its own and doesnt want to lock up sometimes or go down when you want sometimes just my recent experience. There are a few on craigslist around here sometimes.

Chevy, Ford, or Dodge?

I have used several brands and even got to play with automated hydraulic units.

I have had to save animals with no chute. Would have liked anything at that time. Even a Toyota beats walking :cboy:

Cows will go down in a chute. You need to have a rescue plan when that happens. This is why I like options and lots of lubrication before I get started.

If a cow goes down with her head trapped, you can have problems. Especially if you are solo and she is positioned just so. Murphy's laws love to kick my zzz. Some very good cattlemen can tell you some ugly stories. I've been darn lucky with the varieties I use.

Think of the " what if's" when you set up whatever you decide on.

backhoeboogie":1v829rg3 said:
Chevy, Ford, or Dodge?

I have used several brands and even got to play with automated hydraulic units.

I have had to save animals with no chute. Would have liked anything at that time. Even a Toyota beats walking :cboy:

Cows will go down in a chute. You need to have a rescue plan when that happens. This is why I like options and lots of lubrication before I get started.

If a cow goes down with her head trapped, you can have problems. Especially if you are solo and she is positioned just so. Murphy's laws love to kick my zzz. Some very good cattlemen can tell you some ugly stories. I've been darn lucky with the varieties I use.

Think of the " what if's" when you set up whatever you decide on.
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.
Ever had a cow make it through the self catch with her shoulders and get caught in the flank?

Nova I have innoculated a few in that position. Easier than cycling them back through. Don't like it but it is almost as fast as just getting them out in the first place.

The problem with my self catch is the variation is cattle sizes. If every one was the same shape or the same size, that self catch would be a lot better.

A head gate will work for most of your needs. While a squeeze chute is the best for all of the different situations you will have. I have welded a handle on my self catch shoot to make it close either auto or manual. Also on the left gate put a 1 1/2 inch x 4' pipe that slides in and out for working calves it works great.

novatech":1fmvh5gd said:
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.
Ever had a cow make it through the self catch with her shoulders and get caught in the flank?
Not with the Preifert but too many times to count with the WW