Buying a good Charolais Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

WCR

Reaction score
We have a mixed herd of Braford and Longhorn cows. We are getting ready to puchase a Charolais Bull. Can anyone tell me what to look for in getting a good bull? I read on one of the forum comments where someone responded to someone about maybe not having a good bull . . . . Any suggestions? I'm assuming it's not all about size, or is it? I also want to consider careful breeding to both Braford and Longhorn, making sure both breeds (young and older) can take the bull, yet produce good calves. Thanks, Novice to Charolais :help:

Here is another one.
http://www.bovine-elite.com/charepd.asp?ID=61
You should look for bulls that are smooth, heavy muscled, without courseness, long , and well balanced. Watch of course everyday disasters such as foot structure, excessive birthweight, etc. Whatever it takes look at the mothers and examine their udders, feet, structure.

I am not a big Charolais fan; but they will certainly add frame and muscle to a set of Longhorn and Braford cows and your calves will be heavier and bring more cash. With crossing Longhorns to a Charolais bull you wants to be careful about excessive birth weight. Look at the EPDs you want a Charolais with a -1 or lower birth weight EPD. After that, do not to get one with a too big too blocky head. Look to get a well muscled bull with growth EPDs that are better than the average for the breed. I don't buy anything too large framed and if you are keeping heifers be sure to get a bull with a dam that YOU like and a positive milk EPD.

Brandonm2":1ajdtkub said:
I am not a big Charolais fan; but they will certainly add frame and muscle to a set of Longhorn and Braford cows and your calves will be heavier and bring more cash. With crossing Longhorns to a Charolais bull you wants to be careful about excessive birth weight. Look at the EPDs you want a Charolais with a -1 or lower birth weight EPD. After that, do not to get one with a too big too blocky head. Look to get a well muscled bull with growth EPDs that are better than the average for the breed. I don't buy anything too large framed and if you are keeping heifers be sure to get a bull with a dam that YOU like and a positive milk EPD.
Brandonm1 what would happen if he did the unthinkable and bought a +1 bull?

I doubt there is a GREAT deal of difference between a bull with a +1 birth weight EPD and a -1 EPD; but why take a stupid risk by ignoring the EPDs??? If I am breeding Longhorn cows, the most important thing is that they do not DIE having the calf. The higher the birth weight EPD the greater the risk. A Longhorn is going to struggle with the heavier Charolais calves and I think it is a good precaution to eliminate the heaviest half of the breed from consideration. I would prefer a -5 birth weight EPD (under these circumstances); but he may struggle to find a GOOD bull if he is chasing the perfect bull. If you want to set the bar at +1 or -3 or -5, I think that is probably doable; but if I am sitting the bar, I like the -1 number. Now if he was buying a Hereford or an Angus +4 would not be TOO big because those breeds generally have lower average birth weights.

Brandonm2":2jt56gf8 said:
I doubt there is a GREAT deal of difference between a bull with a +1 birth weight EPD and a -1 EPD; but why take a stupid risk by ignoring the EPDs???
Very intellectual statement. Do you think I should notify my banker of the added risk? It is only fair that I keep him aware of the risk involved in his and my next years calf crop. Probably call my notes due if he heard I was such a risky cattleman.

Brandonm2":3ub8yja3 said:
If he was AIing this Select Sires bull would be just about ideal in my mind.....
He is buying a bull as his post says. I was showing him a visual.

D.R. Cattle can speak to this better than I but I don't think you have to worry a bit about a Char bull on the Braford. I can't speak for the Long-Short horn cattle.

ollie":2thfc6r0 said:
Brandonm2":2thfc6r0 said:
I doubt there is a GREAT deal of difference between a bull with a +1 birth weight EPD and a -1 EPD; but why take a stupid risk by ignoring the EPDs???
Very intellectual statement. Do you think I should notify my banker of the added risk? It is only fair that I keep him aware of the risk involved in his and my next years calf crop. Probably call my notes due if he heard I was such a risky cattleman.

It is your life, take whatever risks you want to take. I really couldn't care less about you or your banker. I was just giving my opinion on what I felt he should look for in a bull. I don't know what his cows look like but most of the longhorns around here are definitely smaller framed and I think MOST of those herds would have considerable calving difficulties if bred to one of the growthier Charolais. If you have another opinion feel free to add it.

I am running a charolais bull on longhorn/longhorn mix cows. I have no clue about the bulls EPD's but i can tell you that the calfs I am getting grow like a freight train and are very small at birth,35-55 lbs. I would guess. I think if you find a decent charolais bull the days of the huge "pallet head" charolais calf are gone. JMO :cboy:

Latest posts