Buyer or seller responsible for fertility testing bull

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a new bull but after my luck I am gonna ensure he test good is it the buyers responsibility to have the bull tested for soundness or is it the sellers. I'm
Looking a a couple 2 year old angus bulls down the road so they would be bought private treaty

DCA farm said:
Looking at purchasing a new bull but after my luck I am gonna ensure he test good is it the buyers responsibility to have the bull tested for soundness or is it the sellers. I'm
Looking a a couple 2 year old angus bulls down the road so they would be bought private treaty

Make that part of the deal. Once you decide you like the bulls and the price make a deal if they pass a BSE. If they won't do that go on to the next herd.

I have bought a couple registered Angus bulls from a lady that pays for the test. I pick them up from the vet that does the testing which I like. This gives me a chance to talk to the vet and also eliminates any funny business that might be going on even though I completely trust the lady.

Every bull we have purchased was BSE tested and paid for by the seller.

Not doing so would be akin to buying a vehicle with no motor and expecting it to run.

Standard is seller pays. However like any private sale everything is negotiable.
My last bull, after series of offers and counter offers we reached our agreement.
I paid for the BSE (with right to return bull for refund within 30 days if he failed)
I like my Vet and he charges me 1/2 of what his Vet charges.

My Vet seemed more impressed by him than me and after his 1st calf was born, 5 more
followed in the next 3 days. So he hit the ground running. :)

Butch, agreed...
For me it's difficult to get a BSE done here, so I would sell on condition that he passes, and I'd have no problem paying the fee for the test either (just not 3 hours vet travel time).

gcreek, with that analogy, I'd add that if you find a good vehicle but it's out of gas, yeah, you're going to offer less on it because you're taking the gamble and once in a while you'll get burnt, though in most cases. It's not quite like buying a vehicle with no motor and expecting it to run (visible problem).. that would be like buying a steer.. it's evident.. there can be issues that aren't seen even to the trained eye.

Seller has always paid for the BSE on any bull I've purchased although I'm sure that's already figured into the price. I hit the jackpot with the breeder of my most recent bulls. Not only is he one of the nicest people you'll meet, he took the time to go through all my previous bulls registrations and hand select the bulls that would work best for my operation. No charge for delivery. Guarantees his bulls for the first year. One of my bulls got struck by lightning, had him less than a month & hadn't even turned him out. The breeder replaced him and when I gave him a check he refused. Clearly an act of nature has nothing to do with fertility (or libido) but he stood by his guarantee. Plus, if I don't like him or his calves I can switch him out next year (the one that was struck was a heifer bull, the replacement is not).

TCRanch said:
Seller has always paid for the BSE on any bull I've purchased although I'm sure that's already figured into the price. I hit the jackpot with the breeder of my most recent bulls. Not only is he one of the nicest people you'll meet, he took the time to go through all my previous bulls registrations and hand select the bulls that would work best for my operation. No charge for delivery. Guarantees his bulls for the first year. One of my bulls got struck by lightning, had him less than a month & hadn't even turned him out. The breeder replaced him and when I gave him a check he refused. Clearly an act of nature has nothing to do with fertility (or libido) but he stood by his guarantee. Plus, if I don't like him or his calves I can switch him out next year (the one that was struck was a heifer bull, the replacement is not).

I would say your bull guy went beyond expectations in the case of the bull hit by lightning. Maybe he insures the bulls with that guarantee himself?

gcreekrch said:
TCRanch said:

I would say your bull guy went beyond expectations in the case of the bull hit by lightning. Maybe he insures the bulls with that guarantee himself?
In 30 years he's only replaced a couple of bulls. He may have them insured but I honestly think he was (almost) as upset as I was about the bull, primarily because he was the first choice & one of his best. Good looking, extremely docile (hand feeder within a week), loved his EPD's. The breeder definitely exceeded my expectations and I'm very happy with the bulls! But he's really just a down to earth, good 'ol boy who loves his cattle. I'm already attached to the replacement bull and it's doubtful I'll trade him in but if I do, the breeder would use him (he runs 600 commercial cows).

I would say definitely sellers responsibility if it is of breeding age. That way seller and buyer are covered at least for the short term. What ever agreements other than that are negotiable. However it's arranged whether done before leaving their property or taken by a vet at pickup there needs to be a contingency plan agreed on if the bull doesn't check out especially if you have paid for him. Most credible breeders are good to work with but just a good idea to dot all the i's and cross all the t's so to speak.