Butcher a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese":ffcckpwk said:
well i guess if i decide to butcher him i could ask the butched for his opinion on how many steaks or roasts we can get after hes seen him.

Your words not mine..........BE NICE :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

3waycross":1as86jqu said:
piedmontese":1as86jqu said:
well i guess if i decide to butcher him i could ask the butched for his opinion on how many steaks or roasts we can get after hes seen him.

Your words not mine..........BE NICE :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Yes those were my words and they were IF I decide to butcher him. Key word being if.

IMO it's not worth to get steaks or roasts out of a bull. Why not sell him, earn more $$ instead of wasting your $$$ on an animal that could be only grounded up....

Taurus":wg9mjxqo said:
IMO it's not worth to get steaks or roasts out of a bull. Why not sell him, earn more $$ instead of wasting your $$$ on an animal that could be only grounded up....
That's what I ended up doing. When I talked it over with the butcher it just didn't make sense to spend that much for burger. I can actually buy 80/20 from him for $2.50 so the best deal was to sale him. Got a steer on feed now that we will have processed in late February.Thanks to everyone for the advice.

most of you are leaving out the maturity factor.....

bulls over two years old.....no lets go with the industry standard 30 months are going to be too mature to grade well....

they will yeild very well but won't grade.

younger animals are where the good meat comes from....

I eat bulls....have one in the freezer now.....

but he was harvested before he was two years old...

I started this one year when I had a bull test drop out concurrent with an empty freezer.....

I am here to tell you that young bulls who have been on feed test ration make great beef....tender and flavorful without being fatty fat....

but any animal that is mature is going to have a coarser texture....there are still some good cuts of meat as others have pointed out but generally the mature bull is going to be a bit tougher.

I am curious what you ended up doing and how it turned out? I butchered a bull last year that was 18 months with the exception of being leaner than I would care for I had no problems with the meat and I saved all of the cuts. He was grass fed only and that might have had an impact on the lean meat but tenderness wasn't an issue

3waycross":1acq4n78 said:
Not that the OP will listen cuz apparently he found someone here to agree with him and he won't realize his mistake till he tries that first steak!
Well, he DID listen after all, but if had butchered him back in November, he'd still be chewing on that steak today.

Like pdfangus, I like young bulls butchered. Great taste and tender as any steer. Only had one bad one, and it was a 18 mo old Char but was mostly raised and finished during the 2011 drought. Wasn't no grass and very poor hay. Had to cube and cook the ribeyes in stews and soups.
Burger wasn't bad but was glad to see the last of that one go in the pot.

greybeard":27phij93 said:
3waycross":27phij93 said:
Not that the OP will listen cuz apparently he found someone here to agree with him and he won't realize his mistake till he tries that first steak!
Well, he DID listen after all, but if had butchered him back in November, he'd still be chewing on that steak today.

Like pdfangus, I like young bulls butchered. Great taste and tender as any steer. Only had one bad one, and it was a 18 mo old Char but was mostly raised and finished during the 2011 drought. Wasn't no grass and very poor hay. Had to cube and cook the ribeyes in stews and soups.

Good for him GB. I guess there's a first time for everything. I agree on young bulls they can be real tasty but not after they turn 2.

3waycross":1o7fau4o said:
greybeard":1o7fau4o said:
3waycross":1o7fau4o said:

Good for him GB. I guess there's a first time for everything. I agree on young bulls they can be real tasty but not after they turn 2.

Only one I ever butchered had been on full feed for about 4 months (30 lbs. grain a day). Was pretty good. had he been older and not as well fed I have no idea what it would have been like.

Latest posts