Bushhogged hay

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Had about 10 acres of pasture I had bushhogged got pretty weedy after bushhogged said got good grass in it let me bale it baled it they eat it till it's gone other grass that was cut in the haybfield they eat it but not like this bushhogged hay.

i baled some bushhogged hay this year it was pretty crappy and weedy, feeding it to calves and they eat it good. i guess it softens it up a little

MtnCows93":1c3e2yiv said:
i baled some bushhogged hay this year it was pretty crappy and weedy, feeding it to calves and they eat it good. i guess it softens it up a little

I guess you are right

IMHO, it's better to bushhog Johnson grass, than to cut it with a mower. Especially if it's gotten stemmy. They come more near eating the stems that way for me.

Bigfoot":3rh56122 said:
IMHO, it's better to bushhog Johnson grass, than to cut it with a mower. Especially if it's gotten stemmy. They come more near eating the stems that way for me.

This was fescue and weeds what I had

ive heard people feed bushhogged hay to old broken mouth cows, id say its better but you wont catch me bushhogging my good hay fields. i bet you loose 40% of the crop. the hay i got up was from a neighbors pasture, he had "too much grass" lol so i asked if i could try and rake up after he bushhogged. square baled it and got around 20 bales to the acre which wasnt bad all i did was rake and bale

I think your point was cattle eat bushed hogged hay better. I say get one of these, sell the bush hog and kill the weeds permanent. In the short run and long run you will be better off. Some of those weeds cattle do like better than grass though.

ThumbnailHandler.ashx

I don't do it because it seems to me that the stems aren't long enough for realistic round baling.....too much "chaff" loss. Otherwise, I'd agree on using one from a consumption point....course bush hogging 6' sorghum-sudan would turn out to be a real mess.

Dirt Farmer":21uu5zi3 said:
What is that contraption Jltrent?
Mist blower........you can spray weeds, mosquitoes, gnats, biting insects, grasshoppers, etc.

On the weeds thing you can get to places to spray with it you can't with others. With no breeze it will cover 40-50 feet a trip. I have sprayed trees 30 feet high from top to bottom and killed them.

http://www.bigjohnmfg.com/MistBlower.htm

jltrent":2nq05k5k said:
Dirt Farmer":2nq05k5k said:
Mist blower........you can spray weeds, mosquitoes, gnats, biting insects, grasshoppers, etc.

On the weeds thing you can get to places to spray with it you can't with others. With no breeze it will cover 40-50 feet a trip. I have sprayed trees 30 feet high from top to bottom and killed them.

Also most chemicals are not labeled to be used in a mist blower. So be careful

kenny thomas":28bvux0m said:
jltrent":28bvux0m said:
Dirt Farmer":28bvux0m said:

Also most chemicals are not labeled to be used in a mist blower. So be careful

I keep that in mind and try to be careful as pretty good neighbors, no crops close. The mist blower will go out to maybe 40-50 feet on a calm day and a regular boom sprayer probably 20-30 feet, so am always careful about spraying.

MtnCows93":1aes4z07 said:
ive heard people feed bushhogged hay to old broken mouth cows, id say its better but you wont catch me bushhogging my good hay fields. i bet you loose 40% of the crop. the hay i got up was from a neighbors pasture, he had "too much grass" lol so i asked if i could try and rake up after he bushhogged. square baled it and got around 20 bales to the acre which wasnt bad all i did was rake and bale

Hogging makes for a short product that my baler (JD 375) doesn't pick up very well (and there is nothing wrong with it, all tines are all in place and functioning). A square baler with probably twice the tines would do ok.....if you are into square baling. Conversely, I would like to hog really thick/tall crops that I originally cut with a drum. Would dry faster and dodging weather has always been my problem with few exceptions.

Latest posts