burning pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie

Reaction score
I be wonderin how many on the board still be burnin pastures. In years past everybody here used ta burn but seems I be the only one be doin it anymore.

The place on one side of us still does it and a firend of ours a few miles away still does it. I've seen a few others in this part of the state that do it. We do not.

Katherine

I still burn, but its getting harder to do. Too many folks moving in all around me, and even though you got it under control, they are always raising a ruckus with the local authorities.

Rookie":wk5ogtic said:
I be wonderin how many on the board still be burnin pastures. In years past everybody here used ta burn but seems I be the only one be doin it anymore.

Heck son in this drought country everyone would think you are as screwed up as a soup sandwich if you burned a blade of cow feed.

Burning is a good method of controlling the types of forage in a pasture. Depending on the time of year it can either help or inhibit either WSG or CSG.

dun

Rookie":z7aexvfd said:
I burn in some of my pastures but even a controlled burn gives me heartburn scared its gonna get out of hand. with all the goofy neighbors that move in around you. one neighbor that burns his burmuda field is always catching he!! from the neighbors.

The seed growers have been doing it up here for a century now the sub-division folks are raising a big stink about it and have had rules passed to ban it. Should take a vacation back to California when the fields are burned. DMc

Awful darn pretty at night driving through the flint hills when their burning.

We have done it here in the past, but now that we went through all the effort of putting in new fences, would'nt think about it, too hard on the posts. The few times I did try it, had great grass later that year.

I burn mine if the weather allows it. Late February is best here. Pastures green up much quicker after a burn. March winds are notoriously variable and make a controlled burn a nightmarish event.

Burning stimulates the plant to produce more shoots, plus helps kill insects and diseases. In Washington and Idaho they burn their Kentucky bluegrass fields for this reason, that is until they completely shut them down. And the grass seed business will then move to south America.

Bobg

I can't even burn the brush pile so I can put in my garden. I don't know why my H put it there! I have heard of folks getting ticketed for using charcoal grills around here. Burn ban.

Native Americans burned as a way to get the buffalo to return to their regions. A practice that was started after lightning strikes started prarie fires. Seeing new and lusher growth. Of course that was before nearly all buffalo were wiped out.

In this day and age, with population booms. Hardly any open prarie left. ;-)

Late last year I accidentaly burned a part of a pasture. I have a big problem with smut grass, and after the burn, it seems to have knocked back almost all of the smut grass.

Is it wishful thinking on my part, or could this be true???

Latest posts