Bunched Muscles In Back

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Born 5/28/12 so 14 months old. She will go 1,000 pounds at least. This is Bertha's calf, I sold Bertha recently and she weighed 1,785 pounds. This is going to be a big cow.

Can anyone look at this picture and see a slight rise in her back immediately in front of the pelvis. She also seems to walk with her head down as if she is "hunching up" at about the place you see that slight rise. Is this a sign of a condition anyone is familiar with or could she have been strained by the bull while being bred.
wgycdx.jpg

Here is another view with her head down:
34ruiwm.jpg

There may be some swelling there, how long has she been like that or have you just noticed it?

alisonb":33wovm2o said:
There may be some swelling there, how long has she been like that or have you just noticed it?
I have been noticing it for a month which made me wonder about being hurt by the bull. She is shy and will not let me touch her in the field. Not like most of my cows which come to me for scratches and rubs. I have Star so spoiled she gets jelous when I rub one of the others. :D

Nevertheless, I am thinking dun is onto the right answer. I will keep watching. Thanks Alison.

She looks roached to me. No big deal, just not pretty to look at. She will pass it on to her calves, likely. I have always thought it was because they are tighter muscled in that area, but that is just my guess. FWIW!

Fire Sweep Ranch":2c9bhd0c said:
She looks roached to me. No big deal, just not pretty to look at. She will pass it on to her calves, likely. I have always thought it was because they are tighter muscled in that area, but that is just my guess. FWIW!
Thanks, if you and dun both say roached, I am satisified. Not a reason to cull her from what I found. But there in a reference to one cause of roaching due to metal in the gut. That would be bad. I found it on here after doing a search on "roach".

Have always believed that a 'roach' back is a genetic trait and may be passed on from one generation to the next. When selecting an animal it should have good top line not one that is roached and has skeletal deformities, spinal issues. Certainly an undesirable trait to breed into a herd.

Arched or swayed are perhaps more appropriate terms for an animal that has developed an arched back due to arthritis, hardware etc???

Can someone please enlighten me..... :help:

alisonb":2hri5tha said:
Have always believed that a 'roach' back is a genetic trait and may be passed on from one generation to the next. When selecting an animal it should have good top line not one that is roached and has skeletal deformities, spinal issues. Certainly an undesirable trait to breed into a herd.

Arched or swayed are perhaps more appropriate terms for an animal that has developed an arched back due to arthritis, hardware etc???

Can someone please enlighten me..... :help:
Definitely roaching is genetic. We have seen it in cow lines, often. Sometimes the roach does not show up until they get heavy, over 1000 pounds. It seems like most cows that are roached throw roached calves. We use roached cows for recips, so we do not have to guess if the calf will roach like its dam one day. It is not a bad trait, just not visibly appealing. It seems, in my observation, that the bigger the cow, the more likely she is to roach also. I can honestly say that I have not seen a small cow with a roach (small being 1100 or less). But I am sure it has happened, just not when I have noticed!
I also agree that an arch due to hardware is different than a structural roach.
Ron, by the pictures you presented, I would call that heifer weak topped. She seems to dip behind her shoulders, then roach in her loin. She is still a decent heifer, just not show worthy ;-)

Actually, I see a few showmen with calves that have a back slightly like this, I see them poke them on the back with the show stick to stand to look a little more correct.
Amazing what you can hide with hair and a properly cued calf.

Nite Hawk":2fa45slm said:
If she is roach backed, is it possible after she gets heavy in calf the weight of the calf might straighten her back a bit?

It usually gets worse the heavier in calf they get, still no reason to cull a commercial cow yet, if its just the roach back, but she may not last as long as a sound cow.

glacierridge":559rg8hn said:
Actually, I see a few showmen with calves that have a back slightly like this, I see them poke them on the back with the show stick to stand to look a little more correct.
Amazing what you can hide with hair and a properly cued calf.
They call it "loining" a calf in the show world.... Just FYI

Latest posts