Bummed out a bit

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I penned up a 650 lb registered balancer calf to load for the sale barn tomorrow. He just didn't pan out good enough to make a herd bull prospect. Will make a nice steer though. I just did not want to put my name on a less than really nice calf. I definetly don't want to start off my seedstock career with a sub-par bull to sell. I have another purebred coming behind him that looks promising which is a bright spot. I am retaining a registered heifer. She looks really good. I'm slowly building into what I hope is a quality herd of registered animals.

Did you cut him ?

I had one a while back that was over 500# and was afraid to cut him so late and didn't want to keep him long enough to band him so I sold him as a bull. I'd say it cost me 20 cents a pound.

cross_7":1j0rb5lv said:
Did you cut him ?

I had one a while back that was over 500# and was afraid to cut him so late and didn't want to keep him long enough to band him so I sold him as a bull. I'd say it cost me 20 cents a pound.
I am selling him as a bull. He will be made a steer though. 90% of the feeder bulls bought at the sale are bought by one guy who ships semi loads out west to feed yards. He will cut him. It is not that bad here.....usually about .10 a pound and since he is a thick muscled calf he might do pretty well.

Hoss, let me tell you how to cure the bummed outs feeling...........

Grab a beer and lil hoss, and go play with the snake launcher in the dark, with a flashlight :lol2: :banana: :tiphat:

JenkinsFarm7":18lhks7q said:
I would love to see a pic if you have one Hoss.
Sorry Jenkins I don't have a pic. It is pitch black out or I would go down and get one. I am having someone haul him to the sale tomorrow while I am at work so I wont be seeing him again. He would probably turn out better than most bulls breeding cows in some of the local pastures around here but he wouldn't satisfy me.

Ouachita":12176ykj said:
Hoss, let me tell you how to cure the bummed outs feeling...........

Grab a beer and lil hoss, and go play with the snake launcher in the dark, with a flashlight :lol2: :banana: :tiphat:
I haven't seen him for about an hour....he might have went and built the one for alligators. Be my luck I would step off the porch in the dark and get launched clean over the house. :mrgreen: :lol:

Oh for cryin out loud. Now all I can think about is your sub-par bull and I just have to wonder what he looks like. Put on your slippers and get the good camera with a flash on it so I can sleep tonight. :D

Isomade":1ukzit9u said:
Oh for cryin out loud. Now all I can think about is your sub-par bull and I just have to wonder what he looks like. Put on your slippers and get the good camera with a flash on it so I can sleep tonight. :D
You are in for a long night Iso. It's cold out and it is a long walk. :mrgreen:

Isomade":3ah5t4pl said:
I know, please take a pic of your next sub par bull. On second thought don't; that way I'll keep on thinking my bull is good. lol

JenkinsFarm7":buzvro18 said:
Isomade":buzvro18 said:
I know, please take a pic of your next sub par bull. On second thought don't; that way I'll keep on thinking my bull is good. lol

Well he weighed in at 650 lbs and brought $1.30lb at the sale barn. Not too bad. He sold for .10 lb more than the other black bulls in the sale of similar weight. I have hopes that this next youngster coming up will make the cut.

No need to get bummed Hoss. If you get the rep, of someone that keeps asharp knife , it will serve you well. Bought many a bull from a lady on this board many years ago that owned Kemi Limousin. If a bull even looked at her cross wise that boys nuts where in a bucket by sundown. Never had a problem with any bull I bought from her. That is the type of reputation that you need achieve. So Hoss, u done well. :tiphat:

houstoncutter":2w2su4w8 said:
No need to get bummed Hoss. If you get the rep, of someone that keeps asharp knife , it will serve you well. Bought many a bull from a lady on this board many years ago that owned Kemi Limousin. If a bull even looked at her cross wise that boys nuts where in a bucket by sundown. Never had a problem with any bull I bought from her. That is the type of reputation that you need achieve. So Hoss, u done well. :tiphat:

i second that,he is the type of guy i would buy my bulls from,some breeders think everything makes a bull just cause it is a purebred

Two of the questions I ask people who have bulls for sale. How many bull calves did you have? How many steers did you sell? The people I buy most of my bulls from have about 200 bull calves every year. They sent 175 steers to the feed lot.

Latest posts