Bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks guys. I like that using a Angus-Hereford-angus approach. Some of calves are dinks, I'm guessing partly due to genetics. Probably alot to do with heterosis too

fnfarms1":287xt7ac said:
Thanks guys. I like that using a Angus-Hereford-angus approach. Some of calves are dinks, I'm guessing partly due to genetics. Probably alot to do with heterosis too
Or maybe a homozygous black Hereford bull :hide: Langford Herefords has some nice bulls in your neck of the woods.

RanchMan90":293tlevx said:
fnfarms1":293tlevx said:
Or maybe a homozygous black Hereford bull :hide: Langford Herefords has some nice bulls in your neck of the woods.

Dumb question that I should know. Wouldn't a black Hereford on baldy cows thow even more white into them. Before long u have calves with spots all over not just head and underline? Never messed with Hereford bulls, dad always used charloais bulls over mixed cows. I'm trying to improve on the heinz57 cows, away from spots. For the record, I do know the difference in markings and spots

fnfarms1":1xi73izw said:
RanchMan90":1xi73izw said:
fnfarms1":1xi73izw said:

Dumb question that I should know. Wouldn't a black Hereford on baldy cows thow even more white into them. Before long u have calves with spots all over not just head and underline? Never messed with Hereford bulls, dad always used charloais bulls over mixed cows. I'm trying to improve on the heinz57 cows, away from spots. For the record, I do know the difference in markings and spots
If I was a betting man I would bet you're correct. I'd try them after the Angus bull or a simangus baldy bull.

fnfarms1":btm08thu said:
Thanks Son of Butch. U explained it better than I did. Angus it is.

Boot Jack Bulls mentioned leg work etc for good bulls. What did he mean? Just going and looking to find a good one?

FNFarms1, I (she) mean get out and look at bulls. Don't buy the first thing you see. It is a buyers market, so the guy or gal willing to shop and research is the one (generally) who will find the great deals.

Jake":9hauzpb8 said:
fnfarms1":9hauzpb8 said:
Thanks Son of Butch. U explained it better than I did. Angus it is.

Boot Jack Bulls mentioned leg work etc for good bulls. What did he mean? Just going and looking to find a good one?

Yes, a high quality bull is really more important than the breed. There is less difference between truly good individuals of different breeds than there is between the top and bottom in each breed.
Excellent point and statement :clap:

Latest posts