BULLS FEET

Help Support CattleToday:

USNAVY8488

Reaction score
I have recently noticed my 3 year old Black Angus Bulls gate has changed. His blood line has New Design and Traveler in it. His back toes are longer than normal so I had a friend look at him for me. He recommened I sale him for slaughter at the sale barn because the feet could be trimmed but he has bad confirmation traits. I'm just starting out and he was my first bull. He is very docile and and a herd sire so I called the vet to get there take on the problem. The vet said to let him be and just watch him that if I have him trimmed the problem would just come back in a year. Has anyone had this problem and what would be some good advice.

You have him now so I would use him as much as you need to. I would get his feet trimmed to help keep him up to the job, yes you will probably have to get them done again but that is cheaper than a new bull for now. As for retaining heifers, it does not necessarily mean that they will be like him. Just be carefull with what you choose.
Sounds like your vet was being a bit lazy.
Ken

A lot would depend on whether the condition was genetic or nutritional. If it was caused by improper nutrition it won't be passed on.

wbvs58":3kh4m35j said:
You have him now so I would use him as much as you need to. I would get his feet trimmed to help keep him up to the job, yes you will probably have to get them done again but that is cheaper than a new bull for now. As for retaining heifers, it does not necessarily mean that they will be like him. Just be carefull with what you choose.
Ken

Seems that by that reasoning, you could overlook just about any faults. I would say the probability of his heifers having the problem are higher in a bull with feet problems than one without. There may be other factors besides genetics, like nutrition and type of ground, but better genetics might do better in the same situation.

Anyway, seems alot of people undervalue the feet on breeding animals. I guess if they don't have to travel much, and don't have many cows to breed, you can get away with bad feet.

Last fall I went to look at a guy's sheep to get a few ewes. Noticed his ram would walk a few feet and lay down. Then noticed his feet were overgrown and the hoof wall actually rolling over underneath. Pointed it out and helped the guy with trimming. Don't know how the ram had bred any ewes, but I suppose you can overlook the pain for the pleasure.

wbvs58":piylxjmg said:
Ken

It sounds like "cork screw claw" to me. Only it normally shows up right at two years of age. He could for sure pass that trait on if it is in fact is cork screw claw. It curls inside front toe in. Curls outside back toe in. I had a black Gelbvieh bull have it, showed right when he turned two. He came up lame had to be sold for slaughter. B&G

FOOT_2.jpg
THIS IS THE IMAGE OF HIS HIND FOOT

Latest posts