bull with pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

Betty

Reaction score
My hired man and I bought a bull together, a fancy club calf bull, BW suitable for heifers (we hope!)
It's now time for the bull to come to my house.
He has pinkeye. Hired man gave him LA 200, penicillin both eyes, fly dope, patched the eye with a loose patch to keep sun out.
My herd has never had pinkeye, so no immunity. I don't want pinkeye either!
When (if ever) do you guys think it would be safe to bring the bull to my herd? I am a veterinarian so I should know the answer to this. I'm thinking the agent is pretty easy to kill -- but it's catchy as hell, and flies and weeds are terrible this year, so I'm of mixed thinking on this.
What do you guys think?

That is one of the pitfalls of sharing a bull. I had quite a few cases one summer without ever having a problem before and really didn't think much of it. But I later found out that the bull I was sharing with a friend had pinkeye earlier in the summer, a good month before coming to my place. I don't know if he carried into my herd or if it was just coincidence.

But anyway I would vaccinate for pinkeye and I second the aureomycin in the minerals.

"20/20 vision is a good vaccine for pinkeye" -- means what?
I'm retired 10 yrs. I didn't think the vaccine was particularily effective, it seemed to reduce the # of cases in herds that had it bad, but it was not all that great in my experience.
The aureomycin in the mineral comes today.
I'd like to use this bull, but forever with the pinkeye would be such a drag.

Betty":d929ftoi said:
"20/20 vision is a good vaccine for pinkeye" -- means what?
I'm retired 10 yrs. I didn't think the vaccine was particularily effective, it seemed to reduce the # of cases in herds that had it bad, but it was not all that great in my experience.
The aureomycin in the mineral comes today.
I'd like to use this bull, but forever with the pinkeye would be such a drag.

20/20 Vision 7 from Intervet is a vaccine .

http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/beef/pd ... MH-WWG.pdf
http://www.angusjournal.com/ArticlePDF/ ... inkeye.pdf

Latest posts