Bull with bum wheels

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
My coming 3 year old Angus bull has hurt his left leg or hip and has been limping and dragging his leg for over 3 weeks now.

I guess he will have to go in someones freezer.I figure he will only bring 60-65 cents per pound at the sale barn.

My question is, how will the meat be to eat verses a steer calf and should I pen him up for say 60 days and put him on a good grain ration before I get him processed.

is he breeding cow now? cause he could have injured himself and keep compounding matters breeding others. i would'nt be too quick to get shed of him.

Put him in a trap and feed him all he will eat for about 90 days.

If he gets well, OK, and if he doesn't eat him.

Be sure and invite me............................

If he's been a good bull, isn't he worth a vet check to see what the problem is?

We've processed a breeding bull, although this one was older... 5 years old. Make sure you get the round steaks tenderized! We only had part of it cut into steaks, the rest make good burger and the roasts weren't bad!

C,
I agree with letting the vet take a look.
But if you would rather not, you could give him 30 days to see if it heals on its own, but don’t give him feed to fatten him up. The last thing he needs is more weight to carry around while he tries to heal. Depending on how serious the injury is it’s about a 50/50 chance he will recover.
If he’s a good bull, I would take the chance and I have and have one right now in the barn recuperating from a leg injury.

If after 30 days he shows no sign of improving or if at any time he starts to get worse, pour the feed to him and ship him out ASAP.
SL

C HOLLAND":26hzqgw3 said:
My coming 3 year old Angus bull has hurt his left leg or hip and has been limping and dragging his leg for over 3 weeks now.

I guess he will have to go in someones freezer.I figure he will only bring 60-65 cents per pound at the sale barn.

My question is, how will the meat be to eat verses a steer calf and should I pen him up for say 60 days and put him on a good grain ration before I get him processed.

Heck could be anything from stepping in a diller hole etc.
I have had them limp around a month or so. Put him up in a lot with some company. This is why IMO everyone needs a good fenced two acre lot.

Thanks everyone

Caustic, I am currently fencing in a 1.5 acre spot for him. I hope to have it done next week. I will put him in my handling corral until then.

Not to change the subject but the same can be said for the boys who break their tool.
Also give them 30 days to recuperate, and then put them back to work and see if they can handle the job. If he can’t drive a nail send him down the road.
SL

UP-DATE

He is getting better I guess, I notice he still favors one leg a little, but he will run to the feed when I go out to give him some soy pellets.

I plan to use him as clean up on 2 heifers and 1 of my cows in 3 weeks or so. That should be the real test if he can support his weight or not. I plan to bring them to the holding corral I have him in, if he holds up after that I will still sell him in October or November and if not, he will go in my freezer.

I am glad he is doing better. He may need to rest a little after he quits limping before he starts breding cows and standing on his back legs.
three more weeks should do him good.
Let us know how he works out.

First bull I lost was an Angus. He got hit in the hip by another Angus bull while mounted on a cow. Broke his leg. He was about 6 and he ate really well.

The last one I remember was a reg Hereford bull. He did something to his back and could not mount a cow. He had a big point in his back about 1 foot in front of his hips. He ate very well also at 4 years old. When doing this make sure you have two freezers. One usually won't hold a whole bull.

Like others have said, give him a chance and see if he mends.

This year we bought insurance on our bulls.
loss of use.. can't breed because he hurt himself and needs time to recouperate
loss of function...need i say more?
life...he died
for five bulls it cost under 1000. but in total our bulls add up to 10000.00 so we thought worth the risk.
We have a bull down now..bad hoof not foot rot, so we are lookin into the loss of use where we can get a rental bull to finish the season.
We insure our cows, we insure our crops what about our bulls that can cost between 1600- 3000 per bull?

Latest posts