Bull testing

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
Talking to my wife the other day about all the crazy things that have happened to people on this board. She asks "Have you told them about you first bull testing experience?"

Well here goes –

About 15 year ago we bought our first Simmental bull. That year I hauled him to the vet to have him semen tested before the breeding season.
Bull loads in chute and the doc has me hold the contraption while he catches the goods.
Vet turns on the machine and the bull drops to the ground – I'm kinda new at this and thinking now what.
Next thing I know the vet is whacking him on the face and nose and poking him in the nose etc.
Then I realize – the bull had dropped dead in the chute.
First thing Vet says – Musta had a bad heart
I respond with – he was pretty damn healthy up till now.

We then decided to haul him up to the local processor and have a look inside, to try and resolve the heart issue. I thinking what the hell – he had been on heavy feeding –Might as well have a BBQ if we can.
Doc opens him up and we find all is well.
Doc says he will have to get back to me in a couple days.
Turns out he sends the contraption off to have it tested. The findings are that the transformer inside that takes 110v down to I think it was 2V shorted out and sent the whole enchilada into our bull. What a way to go eh?

The story does have a happy ending – We ended up with a much better bull. (He was a champion heading for the fair don't ya know?) In addition they included an amount for disposal which I believe covered the processing fee – don't ya just love that.

Hope you enjoyed the story

RGV

Ya know - I don't think he even got the chance to enjoy himself one time.
What a way to go

RGV

Yeah, that would have done a lot of good. Sue the crap out of him so he goes broke and has to shut down his practice and you get to drive an extra hour to get to the next vet. All that over a faulty piece of equipment that had nothing to do with his skills as a vet. :roll:

This is what's wrong with the world today.

I apologize if that was said with tongue in cheek. Things like that set me off.

El_Putzo":3kdb043g said:
Yeah, that would have done a lot of good. Sue the crap out of him so he goes broke and has to shut down his practice and you get to drive an extra hour to get to the next vet. All that over a faulty piece of equipment that had nothing to do with his skills as a vet. :roll:

Competely agree with you.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":215yfqfe said:
Well someone has to put these quacks out of business. In a way you could say it was his fault. He should have his machine checked regularly and have all facilities up to date or he should be held liable for such. That is just my opinion. Tongue in cheek is okay. Okay different scenario so you have a show bull that was worth heck I dont know 30 grand and you took him to this fellow and he died under his care. You wouldnt sue to try and recoup your funds? If you didnt you would be broke and probably hurting or perhaps in the poor house for a few years. I think of my cows/bulls as a part of my family. If I took my kid to the doctor and she had a cold and she died under the doctor or hospitals care you bet your ass Im gonna sue them for everything they are worth and then some so that it doesnt happen to someone elses kid.

Cows aren't kids.

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing a vet carries insurance in case he makes a mistake or his facilities don't work as they should, and that would buy you a new animal. No need to sue. And a person ought to be carrying insurance on a 30 grand bull.

Machines can fail - doesn't matter if they were checked a few minutes prior.

Vets are only human.

I've made mistakes before - and I expect everyone else has too - so I'm not going to automatically assume anyone's a "quack" who slips up. Nor am I going to tarnish their reputation if their machinery, equipment, or facilities have a problem that could happen to anyone. That's pretty low.

My opinion - I've found a vet I trust, I make a point of knowing exactly what my animals are being treated with, how and why, I pay my bills on time, I make sure my animals are always caught when my vet comes over so he's never waiting, and I work to make sure we have a good business relationship. I do my part, and so far so good.

I know quite a few folks who don't do any of the above, and they can never seem to understand why they can't find a vet they like or get along with or who will come out and treat their animals.

El_Putzo":1jnaxysf said:

I be in complete agreement with putzo .Sounds like justice was done in the end. We be losin large animal vets fast enough ( :mad:) without suein em on outa existance. MHO.

george

milkmaid":219x2xfc said:
My opinion - I've found a vet I trust, I make a point of knowing exactly what my animals are being treated with, how and why, I pay my bills on time, I make sure my animals are always caught when my vet comes over so he's never waiting, and I work to make sure we have a good business relationship. I do my part, and so far so good.

I know quite a few folks who don't do any of the above, and they can never seem to understand why they can't find a vet they like or get along with or who will come out and treat their animals.
:clap: Well said. As usual.

Milkmaid, that's one of the best posts I've seen on here for a long time. Thanks for saying it.

there is a big difference in negligence and faulty equipment or error. you figure he had used that thing enough to know how it worked. if the bull is replaced or you are compensated for the loss then it is not worth sueing over.

i agree there are far too many lawsuits today!!
who ends up paying for it in the long run, you and i do folks, while folks like "turnthatcowloosema" who sue for everything that even looks like it will make them a buck spends OUR money
:mad:
el putzo :clap:

Let me clarify -
His insurance covered the loss -

He is a competent vet - he did the right thing - mechanical error.

Lighten up Louie

RGV

:( A few years back the vet had one of our heifers in a chute
to treat an eye problem. The sedative he gave her killed her
graveyard dead! :shock: Evidently she was super sensitive.
The vet was of course sorry, but he did not pay for the loss
nor did we sue. It was just one of those unfortunate things
that happen::::::::::: :roll:

Lawsuit or no lawsiut that was one of the funniest posts I have read on here in a while. I can just you looking at that bull and saying what the be nice. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cboy:

Latest posts