Bull shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

Alabamacowman: If you haven't bought a bull yet, I know a guy in Georgia who has a pile of horned Herefords. I am very pleased with mine. I can give you his contact info.

circlew":31aa2hjt said:
Alabamacowman: If you haven't bought a bull yet, I know a guy in Georgia who has a pile of horned Herefords. I am very pleased with mine. I can give you his contact info.
Send me his name and e mail. If they are any good at all I can bring them to Texas and move them..

Here are the direct links to the Mashona breeders, worth considering especially as heifer bulls;
http://www.americanmashona.com/
http://www.milnesandgrassfedbeef.com/Ph ... allery.htm
These cattle are not related to any popular commercial breeds in the USA, so give a good heterosis boost, very low maintenance, heat tolerant and exelent beef quality, Weaver ranch are helpfull and informative if anyone is interested in researching the breed.

Right now I have my Bull rented out for the next 5 months with a month break in between to 3 different breeders, one willlbe sync his to cycle nearly the smae time. Granted these are small heards 8 to 15 cows. I expect him to breed nearly 40 this year as a 2 yo.

Jeannie

Thanks for that EPD sheet, I know where my beefmaster stands with the angus and simms now

circlew":nmphh2tt said:
well i bought one a couple weeks ago,, from a man who had been last on my list.. as far as price goes ..

how good of replacements did those simmetal bulls make? Were they big framed eating machines that make hard doing replacements? People need to look past pounds sometimes. There are other benefits to using good genetics than pounds at weaning. Was the weather the same as last years crop? Were they the same age in days? There is alot more than can be looked at besides he went to angus bulls so he made less money. The heifers those angus bulls made might be twice the replacements from a 7 frame sim bull. Im not an angus breeder so i could care less just that people need to think more about what they are actually getting out of a bull

Personally, I will be experiencing a shortage sooner than I usually do. I never keep many back because I'm not one of those guys that thinks every bull calf born here needs to be a bull but I try to keep around 3 to 4. I am down to 2 yearlings already and have others I am currently talking with now. I usually turn a couple of people away each year because I am out but that is just the way it is. I was going to keep one this year for myself but may be not if they demand is really there.

cleland":6ga9az6p said:
how good of replacements did those simmetal bulls make? Were they big framed eating machines that make hard doing replacements? People need to look past pounds sometimes. There are other benefits to using good genetics than pounds at weaning. Was the weather the same as last years crop? Were they the same age in days? There is alot more than can be looked at besides he went to angus bulls so he made less money. The heifers those angus bulls made might be twice the replacements from a 7 frame sim bull. Im not an angus breeder so i could care less just that people need to think more about what they are actually getting out of a bull
I think if you looked at purebred herds of ALL breeds, there is very little differences any more on frame size. I believe the Angus cow is now the largest weight "national average" cow. Robert would have to chime in here for me, I don't know where to look that info up.

Angus is where the money's at. The Angus breed made all beef worth more, no ifs ands or butts about it. If you can't get it done with Angus, Brahman, or Herford it doesn't need to be done. Just my :2cents: Don't bash BEEF no matter the make.

I will admit it's a small sample but did a little Igenity testing on some of the Fleckvieh and Fleckvieh influenced bulls and the feed efficiency numbers were very encouraging. This is the first time I've done any Igenity work. I've known it for years from raising them that frame score doesn't really have any influence on feed efficiency with the right type of cows and I'm getting the numbers to back it up. The traditionally marked Simmental bulls sold well this year up here in Canada.

This commercial cattleman is not keeping replacement heifers as all his cattle are feedlot bound. As far as Simmys with frame score of 7 and being eating machines; lol, I dont believe I have ever owned a cow or bull with a frame score of 7......... Maybe you are referring to Fullblood Fleckvieh Simms....... PB Simms are MUCH different.

Most cattlemen/women know that Angus is weak in several categories when compared to Simm, Charolais or other breeds. They are weak in growth (WW and YW); REA and BF.
These are the facts > http://www.beefcattlebiz.com/support-files/abepd.pdf

Actually we weighed calves today on a group of PB Simmental first calf heifers and their calves average actual weaning weight was 608 lbs.

One first-calf heifer who weighs in at 1200 lbs weaned her first calf today at 733 lbs.

Frame score 7? --- NO //// Hay burner?--- NO

Here she is one day after calving last fall >>> http://www.beefcattlebiz.com/images/priss.jpg-- Does she look like a frame score of 7?

cleland":26wzborz said:

There may be a bull shortage someplace, but it sure isn;t in this thread!

JustSimmental":2kbx1ioh said:
This commercial cattleman is not keeping replacement heifers as all his cattle are feedlot bound. As far as Simmys with frame score of 7 and being eating machines; lol, I dont believe I have ever owned a cow or bull with a frame score of 7......... Maybe you are referring to Fullblood Fleckvieh Simms....... PB Simms are MUCH different.

Most cattlemen/women know that Angus is weak in several categories when compared to Simm, Charolais or other breeds. They are weak in growth (WW and YW); REA and BF.
These are the facts > http://www.beefcattlebiz.com/support-files/abepd.pdf

Actually we weighed calves today on a group of PB Simmental first calf heifers and their calves average actual weaning weight was 608 lbs.

One first-calf heifer who weighs in at 1200 lbs weaned her first calf today at 733 lbs.

Frame score 7? --- NO //// Hay burner?--- NO

Here she is one day after calving last fall >>> http://www.beefcattlebiz.com/images/priss.jpg-- Does she look like a frame score of 7?

cleland":2kbx1ioh said:

Cow and calf look good. I do think she is bigger than you might think. But not a 7. Have you measured her?
She looks very good except for the udder. Did she breed back and what does she look like now.

dun":2lyhqvei said:
There may be a bull shortage someplace, but it sure isn;t in this thread!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts