Bull Question

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
I have very little knowledge of cattle and none with a two Bull situation. Will need a different bull by Thanksgiving but I'm not done with the one here now.
All the Spring sales are coming up and I was considering a yearling bull that I could bring along and have acclimated to this enviroment by fall.
Problem is, I can't place a new one the way I'd like right now. Would I be looking at problems if I brought one in and placed him with my old bull for a couple months until I could distribute them. It would be just the two on about twenty acres. I can't afford to bring one in and have him get bunged up. The other option and I know the safest would be wait for a Fall sale and purchase one about 18 months. The existing bull would be gone by then. Just hate to get in a big hurry in the Fall. Thanks.

fitz

We brought a new yearling bull on the farm last fall and he and the existing Angus just about tore the fence down trying to get at each other. Even when we got them into pastures with a bit of distance between them the Hereford spent a fair amount of his time bellowing and digging a hole near the gate as if he was trying to tell the bigger older feller there was a new sheriff in town.

I think this is fairly typical of what you could expect.

It usually works fine to put an older and a younger bull together; unless you payed big money for the young bull, in that case they fight to death and the young bull gets ruined. :2cents:

a lot of things could happen. Most of them are bad only one is good. NOne of us can decide for you.

It should work out OK especially if there is a big size difference. If they are closlely matched they will fight for sure.

It's your bull and your money.........take your best shot!

Red Bull Breeder":1nq0vf4q said:
Put them together. big one will put the little one in his place pretty quick.
This is what I would do, especially if there is a big size difference. The safest thing to do is put them in a pasture by themselves for a few days till they get everything worked out. Then put them with the cows. In my experience this leads to a far less chance of injury.

Thank you all for the input. Certainly go along with what everyone has said as potentials.
Size wise, the current bull just turned 5yr. and approx. 2200#. The yearly bulls listed in the sales I haven't seen. Most are listed at around 1100# adj. yw. and born Jan./Feb. 2012. Isomade. They would be together for 60 days with no cows.

fitz

3waycross said:
a lot of things could happen. Most of them are bad only one is good. NOne of us can decide for you.

It should work out OK especially if there is a big size difference. If they are closlely matched they will fight for sure.

It's your bull and your money.........take your best shot![/quote]

Thanks. Did just that. Have looked at a lot of Bulls. Attended a sale earlier this month and the producer allowed he would board a Bull until I was ready for it. Worked out fine.

fitz

Latest posts