Bull Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
Just throwing some pictures up of the Bull that started breeding here last fall. Nothing special. I just like to do pictures here once in a while. I picked him up after the Rookie Bull I had lamed up.
First pic is at 17 months.

DSC00779.JPG

These are a couple from today. He'll be 2 year old tomorrow. He never raises his head for a good pose.

DSC00882.JPG

DSC00885.JPG

I got knocked off here and couldn't get back on. Plenty of ACC basketball today though.

Doc, I have a small commercial herd. Only one registered Simmental cow left. A few straight Simmental left but mostly SimAngus at this point. I started crossing the two some years back trying to get a smaller framed cow. I also followed the market and used the angus to go black.
Yes Son of Butch, the bull is a hybrid. 3/8 sim & 5/8 angus. The bull I had high hopes for before this one was the same percentage cross. He really messed up a hock and I had to send him for salvage. He was only good for one season but I do hope to get some heifers from him. So this one was one of those quick next guy up sort of deals.
I appreciate the favorable comments from you guys.

fitz-
With the size herd that you are managing, this bull, as a 5/8 - 3/8 hybrid could give you some outstanding calves for retaining as replacements. If you are fortunate enough to have EPD's on him - AND the cows too, you could easily get some good heifers for building a larger herd, and then acquire another bull with EPD traits and characteristics in BALANCE with those of your cow herd, and have a well-balanced cross bred cow herd! By balancing traits and characteristics to avoid extreme EPD's, you could avoid causing conflicting traits to create problems ( such as happens at times with too much Milk (35-45 or more!) causing difficult calving and loss of musculature (lack of hindquarter development or what I call "Funnel Butts") The important factor to consider is to focus on selecting for MULTIPLE TRAITS from your bull/cow matings and not just ONE or TWO characteristics - as tempting as that situation may be to you! All of these selection choices, of course, must of necessity be in concert with beef phenotype traits.

DOC HARRIS

Thank you Sky & Four Square Farm. First calves coming in Sept.
Doc, I like most want as much weaning weight as possible for barn calves. However, my first concern is coming up with the best replacement heifers
I can afford Bull wise.
Luck has it that several of my landlords (pasture) are cutting timber and I've been forced to cut deep into my momma cows. Maybe a good thing.
I do study EPDs to the best of my ability and consider this bull a middle of the road type. His sire is out of Final Answer and his dam is from a Hooks bull. Below are the ASA #'s on him and his predecessor which I plan to keep a few heifers from. Sometime if you have a chance perhaps you could review and any advice would be welcomed.
Edit: Forgot to include #'s.

ASA # 2798320 and 2675313

Very nice bull! I don't live that far away if you ever need someone to keep him for a few months! :D

Latest posts