Bull Pen Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

MOFarmer2013

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a bull pen. I am debating whether to use electric fence or barbed wire. To me, their are pros and cons to each. Any advice?

I have 5 strands of hot. I also give them a little sweet feed twice a day. It may not keep them in, but I believe it helps.

dun":2qrllhm0 said:
Electric and really hot

Got that right. If you want I can show you pics of what they will do to barb wire only fence :lol: Its not pretty they don't respect it at all. Add 2 strands of hot wire in front of the barbwire is a different story.

With hot wire it also helps if the bull has been trained to it since being a calf.

MOFarmer2013":3gv262by said:
How hot do you guys have your electric fence?

This won't get you a great answer. There's a bunch of cheap fencers out there claiming whatever XX kv, up into the teens. But what you also have to look at is the joules. A good brand fencer will have a lot more kick to it at a lower Kilovolt reading.

Like getting hit by a bicycle doing 30mph or a semi truck doing 30.. both are doing 30 (the kilo volts) but one packs a lot more punch (the joules)

I have a gallagher m1800 and even down at 5 or 6 kv its like getting hit with a pool cue.

We have woven with a strand of hot right over the top of the woven and another strand about waist high. 7k+ is what we use. Bulls stay in and no problems yet, but our bulls are pretty calm animals.

If you really want to keep them in.. old phone poles for posts, 4-5" (or bigger) rails, and 7' high.. that will keep pretty much anything in.. We have a bull pen but don't use it anymore, we throw the bull onto a gulley with a steer and a couple late calver cows and they're all happy down there.

I second what SupaDexta says about the Joules rating of the fencer.. the KV rating makes it arc longer distances, the joules gives it the kick,.. that's why static from your carpet can reach 30 kV but still only is a mild zap. Our fencer will kill any weeds that grow around the fence, and the thing will knock you flat out, especially if you aren't expecting it.

Latest posts