Bull or Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

325abn

Reaction score
Hello All

I have a cow with a calf that was born last summer. The cow is a short horned milker crossed with a red face. The Bull she was bred to is a White park.

When the calf was 6-7 weeks old the owner of the bull that bred my cow came over and castrated my bull calf using the Emasculatome.

Now several months later the calfs testicals seem to be growing. They are certainly there and getting larger. The calf seems to be "acting" like a bull (I think). On occasion he sniffs at his moms rear and raises his lip.

My concern is the the castration did not work.

Do the "symtoms" I state above indicate a unsucessfull castration? If not what would? What other body traits would be evidence of a bull? I have been told both that if the ball are there then he is a bull also that somtimes using this method the ball will still grow but not be effective therefore he would be a steer.

Thank you for your input.

Here are a few shot of the calf in question and the cow.

3-28-08010.jpg

3-28-08014.jpg

3-28-08012.jpg

Done properly I've never seen the nuts continue to grow. The theory being that all of the cords are crushed so that they will atrophy. Looks like either a large bander or a knife is called for. Or butcher him before the cow calves and is ready to breed again.

that guy fubbed up using the bander on that calf.he is still a bull.if you want him steered.he needs tobe cut.so youll know its done right.

The cow is not breed that I know of. Is it plauseable that the calf could breed her at his age and even know he is still nursing?

yes it is possable but highly unlikely less the calf is 12 months or older.you need to take the cow to a bull an breed her back.

bigbull338":36mv4h6d said:
that guy fubbed up using the bander on that calf.he is still a bull.if you want him steered.he needs tobe cut.so youll know its done right.

He did not use a bander, rather he used a clamper.

The only sure way is with a knife. And this will stir up a lot of conversation but removing the testicles and feeding them to the dogs IS the only sure way. Make sure you count when cutting. There should be two.

The testicles don't look normal. The man did something but he didn't do it right and now the "bull" almost looks deformed. Castrate him and remove all doubt. You certainly don't want any calves out of that thing. If the red/white cow is his momma he's as big as she is and could certainly big enough to breed her. Definitely needs to be weaned.

You most likely still have a bull. Probably need to have him cut by a vet. Could possibly have his mom bred back to him already. Just cuz you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. At least try to separate the until after he is cut. Heck he's got bigger nuts than half the bulls I looked at this year here and in person. I'll bet that scrotal is close to 36 to 38 cm.

325 If I am understanding this the guy used a crimper call an emacculator. These were used around here about 30 years ago because it was suppose to be bloodless castration, mainly came into existance due to screw worms I believe. The skill of operator had a lot to due with the results back then. It was also believed that on some ocasions the vessels could reattach and you would have a bull again. After the results couldn't be assured banding became popular around here. I like the knif as others have stated, that way there is no doubt.

The emasculator is called a Burdizzo I believe. When we were kids my Grandpa used to threaten to use it on us if we misbehaved. Threat worked after we saw it used once. I always thought they were for that size bull not a smaller calf, never used it myself and don't want to.

My opinion, That is indeed a bull, and as big as he is running with the cow, she is bred. And a good hand at banding calves will NEVER leave a nut. :cowboy:

Thanks for all the unput. You confirmed what i was thinking a BULL for sure! :x

So if he is a bull now and I plan to butcher hime in the fall will having him cut now really do the beef any good?

What is Bull beef like? Is it really just good for hamburgar?

Is it possible for him to breed his mom all the while nursing her also?

Quite possible.

Unless I'm totally incapable of guesstimating weights from pics, he's around 800lbs or maybe more. You said he was born last summer, so he's what, somewhere between 7 and 11 months of age? Very nice calf, but very likely he's perfectly capable of breeding, and that cow isn't that big.

Out of curiousity, why didn't you have the cow bred back last summer/fall?

I think the cow is bred back.

325, The bull will make decent beef. Make sure he gets good feed until butcher time. I wouldn't make him a steer at this point. Fatten him and have the butcher do the normal cuts. Ain't going to make prime, but not bad.

milkmaid":1biq77w6 said:
Out of curiousity, why didn't you have the cow bred back last summer/fall?

The plan was to keep this calf untill he was two years old and if I bred her last fall I would have 3 head over this coming winter and I could not support 3 head over the winter.

Now as it stands he is going this fall and I should have had her bred.

Latest posts