Bull or Steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

ERodrig

Reaction score
I have a bull that is a little over 15 months old that is not shaping up to well. He's got decent muscling, but is very small. He took a long time to get this far. I have a Beefmaster bull that I bought for my herd so I don't need the little guy anymore. I was thinking of letting him fatten up a bit and butchering him for freezer meat. Is there any advantage to cutting him or is it too late for that? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

IMO, it would be a bit late to cut him. Besides, there's plenty of folks on here that wouldn't have a problem with butchering a bull. Like you say he's small but got muscling on him, so by all means, put the knife to him.

ERodrig":6pcob83j said:
I have a bull that is a little over 15 months old that is not shaping up to well. He's got decent muscling, but is very small. He took a long time to get this far. I have a Beefmaster bull that I bought for my herd so I don't need the little guy anymore. I was thinking of letting him fatten up a bit and butchering him for freezer meat. Is there any advantage to cutting him or is it too late for that? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

You can cut a bull at any age.

I personally would not bother now. You can butcher a young virgin bull and not notice any difference in quality of meat. Just finish him off and eat him.

Regards

Bez>

i worked in the packing plant/beef industry quite awhile and i'd say if you're going to butcher him, i'd advise to cut him. although it is never too late to cut a bull, if the meat is ending up on your own table, the sooner you cut him the the better. a major reason bull meat is poor quality meat is from the hormones in the animal - the same hormones you are reducing by turning "him" into "it".

i'm not trying to argue with bez about quality of meat because i watch this board alot and think bez is a very informed and intelligent poster and i enjoy his posts. wouldn't want to argue with him. but from experience i'm worried it might be too late to really expect great meat out of this bull - JMO :).

get him cut soon and get him on grain for 100 days minimum before you send him to that great pasture in the sky. if you don't like the steaks and roasts, you could always grind him into 400 pounds of hamburger! :lol:

Rather than actually cutting him, for bulls of this size those big banders work well. Find someone (cattleman or vet) who has one. Be sure and give a tetanus shot. Cutting a bull this age at this time of the year makes me a little nervous.

Dave

Dave":2bzyh80g said:
Cutting a bull this age at this time of the year makes me a little nervous.

Dave

Exactly. And ERodrig might have to think about the weight the bull might lose if he gets castrated either by cutting or otherwise. That's just IMO.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I've decided that because of his age and the fact that I've never castrated a bull, I'm going to just finish him off as is.

Won't make any appreciable difference bull or steer. The trick will be in making sure he is fed correctly - and who is doing the cooking. You can take the best piece of beef in the world and ruin it real quickly if you can't cook. I am a long way from chef status but I can put the beef on the table - except steaks, a man has to know his limitations!

It is common practice in parts of Europe, notably Germany to finish bulls up to 18 months as 'Baby beef' taking advantage of the better growth and leaness of the bulls, and slaughtering before they are old enough to develop the dark colouring associated with older bull beef. Two farmers ran trials on bull finishing, publishing their results in 'Cattleworld' magazine in 1980, attaining above average weight gains while achieving acceptable grades at slaughter. Ian Hunter of Barnhill Estate, Marandellas, was finishing at 12 months, Roy Mcllwaine of Larkhill Estate, Marandelas, was finishing at 18 months.

Cut him. I buy cutting bulls every week. Get him castrated, turn back out on grass, put him up this fall and feed him hard for 125 to 150 days.

Latest posts