Bull or Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Hill 70":fr3d526n said:
lots of times at fall shows there will be yearling bulls over 2000 ilbs.

I find that hard to believe.

Sorry I was reading pounds, thinking "DAYS" and typing pounds. I was also checking heaters in a machine when typing that. I do wean lighter in pounds than most though. To make matters worse after I read my post the second time I still didn't see anything wrong with it. I had to readover it again to catch my mistake. Sorry It has been a hectic night. Most of my post are during jobs at work. Sorry about the confusion. I'm sure this won't be my last mistake. Ya'll bare with me.

Because of the drought we're considering weaning at around 3 1/2 - 4 months this year. We normally wean at 7 - 7 1/2 months but with the poor forage I'm thinking that early weaning and selling them off the cow may be the right thing this year.

dun

O.K. I'm at home now and maybe I can focus a little more on what I am doing insted of what a machine is doing. I normally look at trying to wean at the 200ish DAY mark. I usually go over this while waiting for a couple to make it to this mark. I have a small catch pen that they go into where their momma can see and sniff them. They will be here until the momma's start wandering off. From here thay go into a larger area with the heifer's I don't want bred. They are normally out of sight from mama at this point but it ain't been a problem. They stay there until about 700 pounds guesstament. I usually miss their weight a little or trying to make a load I generally wind up between 650 and 750 on scales. I try not to go over 800 as this seems to be the turning point for the market here unless they are worth keeping for replacements. The replacements I hold until about 15 months before turning in with the bull. I calve yearround. I also buy calves from the salebarn. After at least a couple of weeks of confinement they go into a pasture that is used for a "growing up" area. Most of these are also sold at around 700 pounds. I have several differant pastures I rotate groups through. My problem now is feedtime in the winter. I hate to have to feed in differant areas. I am building a new corral syetem that will allow me to feed differant groups at roughly the same location. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. I like to have a group of whatever is bringing the most at the market ready to go. The biggest problem is predicting the future well enough to hit it.

Rookie":2u1n74gz said:
flbullrider":2u1n74gz said:
5 years sounds a little late to clip 'em. I always thought ya had to do it no later than 2 years, preferably earlier, due to complications that can occur?

Am I misinformed? (Sure wouldn't be the first time)

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

I be in the same boat with Mike here. I be thinkin and hearin the same thing, 2 years or younger.What say ye all?

george

In regard of when to clip 'em, any advice? I seem to have got lost in the thread - the posts past this deal with weaning...

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

greenwillowherefords":14rczlh1 said:
Wewild":14rczlh1 said:
Hill 70":14rczlh1 said:
lots of times at fall shows there will be yearling bulls over 2000 ilbs.

I find that hard to believe.

They'd have to be mighty long yearlings, as in coming twos.

Couldn't be a leap year either, they would need that extra day.

Latest posts