Bull or Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
As I said before this is all new to me. If I by chance get two bulls, why is it better to castrate them if I am going to sell them to an individual for the freezer? Does it have anything to do with the quality of the beef?

lancemart,

Just to share experience.

We have done both at...6-800 lb...out of the same gentic line.... and can not tell the difference. Some say that if they are allowed to remain intact much beyond that point the meat is impacted...more tuff.... i believe is the reference. But, if consuming from the market place...we don't know which class we are eating.

The consensus has been that steer meat is better tasting than bull meat; it supposedly has a milder taste, not so "strong". Much like a doe is better than a buck. I do not have first hand experience but my butcher insists that bull meat is darker & has a stronger, less desirable taste.

preston39":1f45bbko said:
if consuming from the market place...we don't know which class we are eating.

if your buying decent cuts its a pretty safe bet your eating heifer or steer

brokenmouth,

I wish your thought was always correct.

Thats the challenge..how do we always know..even with premium cuts!!!!!

I have had them when I know they were not premium. Butcher shop folks complain that the grade was not there...as marked. Most top of the line meat cuts go to the restaurants...I am led to believe.

Latest posts