Bull guaranteed to be sound

Help Support CattleToday:

RCP

Reaction score
I have a question. January 30,2013, bought a bull that had been checked that day, vet's papers say "good". I bought him to turn out May 1, 2013 for breeding season. Just for safety sake, had my vet check him on April 23, 2013. Bull was in good physical condition and all other findings were normal, electro-jac used, collected sample, sampled again 10-15 minutes later, very few sperm were observed on either sample, Those present very active but the number was too low to pass BSE. Rechecked May 16, after running with seventeen heifers for 15 days. No change in test. In all honesty and fairness, who should do what ? rcp

If the seller guaranteed him to be good that in my mind would be to have a good BSE by a vet. The seller should have specified a time period and what if any injuries might be covered. If it was one of those hand shake deals with no discussion or nothing in writing then all you can do is call the seller and see what they will do for you.

The last two bulls I've bought had a year guarantee to be breeding sound. Any accident or other sickness would be at my own risk. Good luck.

RCP":1uei2wwn said:
I have a question. January 30,2013, bought a bull that had been checked that day, vet's papers say "good". I bought him to turn out May 1, 2013 for breeding season. Just for safety sake, had my vet check him on April 23, 2013. Bull was in good physical condition and all other findings were normal, electro-jac used, collected sample, sampled again 10-15 minutes later, very few sperm were observed on either sample, Those present very active but the number was too low to pass BSE. Rechecked May 16, after running with seventeen heifers for 15 days. No change in test. In all honesty and fairness, who should do what ? rcp

Same Vet? If so what's he got to say about it. Different Vet I'd give him a call. Owner is gonna say that he was sound when he transfered him.

""If the seller guaranteed him to be good that in my mind would be to have a good BSE by a vet. The seller should have specified a time period and what if any injuries might be covered. If it was one of those hand shake deals with no discussion or nothing in writing then all you can do is call the seller and see what they will do for you. ""

I agree with J&D.

If you don't have guarantee in writing: I know a stressful event can cause infertility that can last for something like 90 days. I would think that kind of infertility would leave identifiable dead sperm. Maybe someone on board knows and if not your vet should know. Point would be that if identifiable dead sperm would be expected, then some kind of stressful event didn't cause the infertility because your vet says there aren't a lot of sperm and those there are active. I would then want to know if my vet would expect the number of sperm in this sample given a "good" call by the sellers vet earlier. That information could be useful talking to the seller and while it may not get you satisfaction I think you'd know if this was essentially a scam.

What has been the result of him being with the heifers? I would watch them very closely to see how many return to the bull. He may not be as bad as the sampling of his semen suggests.
Ken

im going to stick my neck out here an say the bull did not pass his BSE to start with.the last bull i bought had an 85 on his BSE or i wouldnt have bought him.a bull that goes 70 or below on his BSE failed in my eyes.

I would be inclined to say I think he might not have passed the first time as well. I have had hundreds of bulls semen checked before selling them. I have never seen a test paper that says "good". It should say Satisfactory potential breeder or lesser options if he failed the test. Bulls usually have primary and secondary abnormalities present. A young bull might show several secondary ones which usually go away when he gets cleaned out. If a young bull has a lot of primary abnormalities its usually a lot of bent tails or tail less sperm. The high primary bulls stand a good chance of never being a sound breeder. However, in most breed associations the guidelines read that if a bull settles a female on your place he is considered to be a satisfactory breeder. Having said that it will more than likely be between the guy that sold you the bull and you to decide what happens if anything. I will NEVER sell another bull here without having him tested first. It is the lifeline and reputation of a bull seller to do that. Just my thoughts.

Circle H Ranch

I bought one back in October. He passed his sperm eval with a vet. I turned him out with the cows. When he mounted a cow his penis was so crooked it was facing his testicles. I just choked it up to a loss.

Bigfoot":2likf89c said:
I bought one back in October. He passed his sperm eval with a vet. I turned him out with the cows. When he mounted a cow his penis was so crooked it was facing his testicles. I just choked it up to a loss.

Around here when the Vet does a BSE he/she looks at 3 things. Scrotal Circumfrence/Ejaculate/ and Extension. Fail one fail it all. They will not pass a bull that does not extend correctly!

You should not have to chalk it up to anything. The Vet who did the BSE on that bull owes you!

I'm kicking myself in the A$$ for turning out a young bull with out a BSE. Vet was out of town and I was in a hurry and dumped him in the pasture. I'm watching the cows in heat and will see if any return. What a dumbA$$ move!

J&D Cattle":rcjhcnqs said:
I'm kicking myself in the A$$ for turning out a young bull with out a BSE. Vet was out of town and I was in a hurry and dumped him in the pasture. I'm watching the cows in heat and will see if any return. What a dumbA$$ move!
hey we all learn by doing.an you learned to have your bulls checked.

Last fall we turned a 10 month old bull out with some open cows just so he would have company. He was there a grand total of a month and we brought him in and did a BSE. The next day we pregged all the open cows just for grins. The BSE was a waste of money, he passed fine but all of the open cows were all bred.

dun":328p7zix said:
Last fall we turned a 10 month old bull out with some open cows just so he would have company. He was there a grand total of a month and we brought him in and did a BSE. The next day we pregged all the open cows just for grins. The BSE was a waste of money, he passed fine but all of the open cows were all bred.

I hope I have the same luck. Live and learn I guess.

Latest posts