Bull given dexamethasone

Help Support CattleToday:

Stephanie

Reaction score
Hey. My bull was given dexamethasone by the vet. I know it's horrible for fertility but I can't find a reason why and how long it affects fertility.

FYI. He was given 4mg Iv.

wbvs58 said:
I don't think you have anything to worry about by that one small dose.
I'd be more concerned about the reason he was was given it for.

Ken

Do you know how dexamethasone affects bull fertility ?

That sounds like a small dose. My bottle of dex says there are 2mg per ml. Bovine dose ranges from 5 to 20mg. It lists several side effects that affect cows, but none specifically for bulls. What was his problem?

Dexamethasone can lower testosterone levels, but I seriously doubt that a single dose that small would make a difference at all. Regardless, the effect would be temporary.

SBMF 2015 said:
That sounds like a small dose. My bottle of dex says there are 2mg per ml. Bovine dose ranges from 5 to 20mg. It lists several side effects that affect cows, but none specifically for bulls. What was his problem?

Heat stroke. He was given 4mg IV.

I know the issues with fever and fertility. Just wasn't sure effect dexamethasone has. Just wasn't sure if one time dose has the ability to cause testicular shrinkage.

There are studies published online showing the effects on bulls. Never seen testicular shrinkage mentioned, so not sure why thats a concern? But all studies involved a LOT more than a single 4mg dose. Like mentioned, the heat stroke would be a far bigger concern.

M.Magis said:
There are studies published online showing the effects on bulls. Never seen testicular shrinkage mentioned, so not sure why thats a concern? But all studies involved a LOT more than a single 4mg dose. Like mentioned, the heat stroke would be a far bigger concern.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that. That's why I didn't ask about that. Thanks

Stephanie said:
M.Magis said:

That was specifically what you asked. Post #6.

M.Magis said:
Stephanie said:
M.Magis said:

I am aware of the issues that stem from fevers. I was told elsewhere that one dose could shrink his boys. Inquiring about the steroids only.

Thanks

Stephanie said:
M.Magis said:
Stephanie said:

I am aware of the issues that stem from fevers. I was told elsewhere that one dose could shrink his boys. Inquiring about the steroids only.

Thanks
Oh well, we will have to be more specific about your questions in future, take note everyone. You seem to know everything else.

Ken