Bull for discussion.

Help Support CattleToday:

At what cost?
I am not a believer in the whole " wean half her body weight" idea. I tend to fallow the theory that her str calves need to finish at roughly the same weight she is. i.e. If a cow weighs 1,500lbs her str calf better weigh 1,500lbs when we ship him to Tyson. At 18 mos old.
The extremes are all gone. 1,800+lb cows just eat to much and tear up to much stuff.

There's a lot to like about both. Both have plenty of the "nuts, guts and butts". Good bone and nice style on both. Black bull is too bold in his shoulder for my taste (this is what most comments are reading as not calving ease). He's a touch too wide at the shoulder and hip for his base. Notice that he appears to toe out (his lower half isn't as naturally wide as his top half). His tail head is less than ideal, and the fact that he seems to pass it on to his daughters is worth noting. The red bull is more correct in those areas, but has a bit less natural mass and muscle. The way he cuts in above the hock suggests his mass is more fed on than raw muscle at this point. He's also a bit short in the cannons for me, I prefer a solid frame 6 cow, so I would be wary of a sire with shorter cannons. Both are super nice options and can be bred with any shortcomings in mind.

There's a lot to like about both. Both have plenty of the "nuts, guts and butts". Good bone and nice style on both. Black bull is too bold in his shoulder for my taste (this is what most comments are reading as not calving ease). He's a touch too wide at the shoulder and hip for his base. Notice that he appears to toe out (his lower half isn't as naturally wide as his top half). His tail head is less than ideal, and the fact that he seems to pass it on to his daughters is worth noting. The red bull is more correct in those areas, but has a bit less natural mass and muscle. The way he cuts in above the hock suggests his mass is more fed on than raw muscle at this point. He's also a bit short in the cannons for me, I prefer a solid frame 6 cow, so I would be wary of a sire with shorter cannons. Both are super nice options and can be bred with any shortcomings in mind.
Thank you very much for this post!

Y'all pick apart this Balancer bull. I know it's just a picture, but based on what you see what do you like/dislike about him? He was 80# at birth to 1447 adj.yearling. View attachment 1170
Wow... dont known much about brangus which I think he is.. I like him, he's a truck!! Are they supposed to have more brisket??? Don't known much about the breed. But I still like him.

Latest posts