Bull Calf for critique

Help Support CattleToday:

cathill

Reaction score
This is Bart, he is the first calf out of my grade Brahman heifer and a grade Angus bull. We're considering keeping him a bull for my son's mixed cow herd. He's totally unrelated. So, I know he can't be critiqued for a standard of perfection for a breed, but over all, what are his good points and issues that should be considered. What do you all look for in a 6 month bull calf that makes him stand out?

Bart is 6 months old now, his birth weight was about 70 pounds, maybe that much. He's grown very fast and at 6 months, he's around or over 50% of his mothers weight. He's gaining on her daily. The cows in my son's herd are all just average black and red cows, a couple white faced and some with a bit of Charolais.

Here is Bart now at 6 months
ff174873_Bart07Oct2012.jpeg

fcfe649e_Bart07Oct2012_02.jpeg

2d0e8f57_Bart07Oct2012_01.jpeg

I like him. 3/8 and 5/8 would be my preference, but he looks good to me.

I like Bart. He is nicely muscled, his ham goes all the way down, he's polled, and has a nice small head, and a nice low head set. His faults, (narrow between front legs, straight hocks and a bit sheathy) are minor. I would try him.

Well give it a try and if your son isn't satisfied with his calves then cull him out. But since he is 1/2 angus 1/2 brahman and your son's cows are mixed breeds (but then again all cows are not brahman) so I don't know what to say. Still Bart is nice bull.

I looked at him again. I still like him. Birth weight sounds good. Nice shape to his head for calving ease. His top line doesn't blow me away, but it is about what I would expect to see in that cross. Take a chance on him. You'll know once calves start hitting the ground.

his looks aint the biggest problem,, a crossbred bull out of ''commercial'' cattle going back on commercial cattle... he could look like a million bucks and it still wont matter... its what he will put on the ground.. which could be anything from a shanghai rooster, to a durham cow :cowboy: which if he were a heifer, could be easily cleaned up

ALACOWMAN":3lghbe14 said:
his looks aint the biggest problem,, a crossbred bull out of ''commercial'' cattle going back on commercial cattle... he could look like a million bucks and it still wont matter... its what he will put on the ground.. which could be anything from a shanghai rooster, to a durham cow :cowboy: which if he were a heifer, could be easily cleaned up
I think you are right, I forget about his half Brahman genetics that won't produced 100% calves that looks good as him when bred to mixed breed herd with unknown background. He's not black homozygous, nor he is homozygous polled. On other hand, none of the cows have any brahman genes in them.

ride him cowboy 600 lbs calves at the sale barn is sweet like them ears br

Alacowman,
Is it better to use a purebred bull on mixed cows? I'm not a cattleman but I know how to listen. My son and his friend have had calves that were top sellers at local markets with grade bulls over mixed cows. I guess what I'm saying is that I need more information. I'm guessing commercial cattle meaning those bred strictly for stockyards? I never saw any reason to use registered bulls on mixed cows. Personally, I just have my 2 cows so I'm hardly cattle breeder. I just enjoy them and may try some different type bulls with my 2 cows. Our son and his friend each have their own cows but run them together. They each bought a bull and they run the bulls with the herd and they've been selling the calves and doing pretty well with grade bulls.

My cow is a grade Brahman. She could be full blooded but I doubt she is. The bull who bred her was a grade black bull. I think there should be a chance then that Bart could be homozygous for black if it's the same as the black genes in horses. My Brahman cow is black with a grey gene so it was black to black breeding, he didn't get the grey gene and that's a dominant gene so Bart doesn't have a grey gene to pass to his offspring.

I don't know if the boys will give him a try, if they do, I'll post some calf pictures. We didn't cut him because there were 3 neighbors asking about buying him to breed.

Oh, and who is Gassey135??? Lol Get him in here. I love a good discussion. All silliness aside, no one learns anything without asking and making mistakes. From my end, there are no risks. My 2 cows are just for my own pleasure. I can't imagine not having a couple cows here. We don't have the acreage to worry about so I don't mind being an example of what not to do from time to time, :lol: All comments are really appreciated and it helps me to see things from your perspective, as breeders.

Is there a particular type bull that is best over mixed cows? a breed? or am I still missing it?

I forgot to mention that you all are the first bunch who didn't make some sort of funny remark about him peeing..... I have some weird family and friends. `Thank you all again

cathill":3rqu1ja9 said:
I forgot to mention that you all are the first bunch who didn't make some sort of funny remark about him peeing..... I have some weird family and friends. `Thank you all again

Well it had to come out somewhere and that seems to be the best place!!!

cathill":10yk6ek6 said:
Alacowman,
Is it better to use a purebred bull on mixed cows? I'm not a cattleman but I know how to listen. My son and his friend have had calves that were top sellers at local markets with grade bulls over mixed cows. I guess what I'm saying is that I need more information. I'm guessing commercial cattle meaning those bred strictly for stockyards? I never saw any reason to use registered bulls on mixed cows. Personally, I just have my 2 cows so I'm hardly cattle breeder. I just enjoy them and may try some different type bulls with my 2 cows. Our son and his friend each have their own cows but run them together. They each bought a bull and they run the bulls with the herd and they've been selling the calves and doing pretty well with grade bulls.

My cow is a grade Brahman. She could be full blooded but I doubt she is. The bull who bred her was a grade black bull. I think there should be a chance then that Bart could be homozygous for black if it's the same as the black genes in horses. My Brahman cow is black with a grey gene so it was black to black breeding, he didn't get the grey gene and that's a dominant gene so Bart doesn't have a grey gene to pass to his offspring.

I don't know if the boys will give him a try, if they do, I'll post some calf pictures. We didn't cut him because there were 3 neighbors asking about buying him to breed.

Oh, and who is Gassey135??? Lol Get him in here. I love a good discussion. All silliness aside, no one learns anything without asking and making mistakes. From my end, there are no risks. My 2 cows are just for my own pleasure. I can't imagine not having a couple cows here. We don't have the acreage to worry about so I don't mind being an example of what not to do from time to time, :lol: All comments are really appreciated and it helps me to see things from your perspective, as breeders.

Is there a particular type bull that is best over mixed cows? a breed? or am I still missing it?
black is a dominant gene,, and i doubt he is homozygous black, and crossed like he is he might not be homozygous for any thing.. hes sorta like a loose cannon... and thats why you need a purebred bull to go back on crossbred cattle to clean up the calf, and make a more uniform group of calves..... trust me ive seen what you want to do first hand. and alot more than once........ my cows are crossbred also

If this is a hobby and with 2 cows it probably is and if your son and his friend only have a handful of cows I see no reason not to use him. You could be on the lookout for a better purebred bull but if this is only a handful of cows I wouldn't worry about spending allot of money. Is he going to sire a uniform group probably not but in a small number uniformity is not that important and with that wide of a range of momma cows it would be hard to get a uniform group. If you do decide to get a purebred bull try a Charolais bull they can stamp and put weight on a wide range of mixed cows.