Bull Breeding Pregnant Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

G&L Cattle

Reaction score
We have a cow that was due the first of January. She is not showing any signs of calving and we have noticed that the bull was breeding her today. My husband saw her breed with the bull back in the spring, so we feel like she was pregnant.

We would like to know what you think. She must be in heat for the bull to breed her, which means to me that she is not pregnant. Do you agree? Thank you.

Take her to a vet and have her palpated. One test worth a thousand expert opinions.

Scotty

you should get her checked , she might have aborted a month or so ago . I had one that aborted at 7-8 months and if I wouldn't have found the calf I probably wouldn't have known what happened.

I had a cow about 4 years ago that I bought at an auction and was green tag. I had her in a quarantine pen for a week and then turned her with some other cows I had bought and there was a bull there. That afternoon he was breeding her. 2 days later she aborted a 7-8 month old fetus. I never was able to figure that out and I had never heard of it. I have no idea why the bull was breeding her, but I am sure he injured the fetus and caused the abortion.

One of my cows is 7 months bred and still comes in heat every month vet don't know why but says it happens sometimes.

Stewart

Did she actually STAND for the bull or was he just jumping her & trying to breed her? When cattle get close to calving their hormones will make a bull "think" she is getting ready to cycle. But, I would think you should know for sure by now if she was due first of January. If she isn't bagged up by now, don't think she ever will be.

get her preg checked. had one cow calved 1 1/2 months overdue, true story. vet thought I was making stories, but he is the one that ai'd her. such is life

Get the vet to palp her if she's not showing signs. We took one in Saturday who had checked 4 months bred the first of August. Not looking ready, and showed signs of heat Friday. She was open. :mad: Now we are debating her growing wheels. If she wasn't (previously :( ) the best cow we had, she'd be on her way Wednesday.

Latest posts