Bull behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
I got some of the cows, calves and bull in the corral to take to the other place and noticed the bull doing something I've never seen one do. He was corraling the cows. He wanted them all in one bunch. If one tried to go to another part of the corral he would run and get them and put them back together. Sometimes he would get kinda rough with them until he got them back together.

One of the cows was in season so I thought this was strange because they normally go off to themselves(he does this in the pasture). He was really easy to get loaded. We just got his girlfriend in the trailer and he followed right along.

Anyway, when we got to the other place and put them in the corral I saw him do the same thing when the cows wanted to go down a run area. It appears he has to be out in front when they are moving.

Does your bull do this?

I am by far not an expert but his behavior doesn't surprise me. When we bring in the cattle to the corrals our bull will stand with them on the other side of the fence nuzzling them. When we sold a few yearling bulls the other day they spent the night in the holding pen just before the loading chute and while even the mamas went off to eat, he stayed with them as well. I guess he is a family man...err.. bull.

Yep, I have seen this many times. We have moved cattle when the bulls were acting like this. That IS NOT an easy job. Try moving a herd of over 100 cows down the highway (fences on both sides) and coming to a bridge when the bulls are doing that. They stand in the middle of the bridge and won't let a single cow across, and there ain't much you can do about it. Nearly impossible to make a 2000 lb bull move if he doesn't want to :mad: . Usually when they do it they smell/hear/see competition. Although there are some bulls that just like to keep their girls together.

I've had a few Gert bulls that herded their cows. Even after they were all bred he would keep them altogether, watch over them, protect them. Fascinating to watch.

I've got two Longhorn bulls that herd their gals. Sometimes, it's a little bit aggravating. I've seen cows try to go to eat minerals and the bull would go and bring her back to the group. I guess he thought she was getting too close to a line fence where there was another bull on the other side.