Bull age

Help Support CattleToday:

Poundsy

Reaction score
How young would you let a bull breed some cows. 12 months,16 months etc etc. Lets say just 4 cows,so he isn't overwhelmed and misses some.

Depends on the breed. Some breeds mature earlier than others. Safe rule of thumb on most breeds is 15 to 16 months but a Jersey matures early while (from my understanding) a Santa Gertrudis matures pretty late. If Angus is middle of the road I would say stay with the 15 to 16 month range.

I usually have my bull with the girls by 15 months of age. Typically runs with 20-25 head and gets em all bred in my calving window. As mentioned maturity is the biggest deciding factor. I use Gelbvieh and they are known to be early maturing animals. If your running 4 head a younger bull would likely get the job done assuming he can reach.

novaman":227w8lik said:
I usually have my bull with the girls by 15 months of age. Typically runs with 20-25 head and gets em all bred in my calving window. As mentioned maturity is the biggest deciding factor. I use Gelbvieh and they are known to be early maturing animals. If your running 4 head a younger bull would likely get the job done assuming he can reach.

Lol. Boy that must stink if you can not " reach" and have for ladies in the ring........:)

We can laugh - but reaching is definately an issue. Breed, maturity, and nutrition makes a big difference. You can have an early maturing breed like Simmental or Gelvieh but if the bull wasn't grown out properly, he may need a lot longer. If grown out well, he could probably handle them at 12 months old.
How much does he weigh & what is he?

around 850-900 lbs. He is a simmi/hereford cross. Good looking young bull. The heifers he is with are small framed herefords. I don't think reach would be a problem. Thanks for the input.

Poundsy":3kcdnj5b said:
around 850-900 lbs. He is a simmi/hereford cross. Good looking young bull. The heifers he is with are small framed herefords. I don't think reach would be a problem. Thanks for the input.

Get a bull soundness exam done on him if he is good to go and your girls are mature enough to be bred physically ,let him in with the gals.