Bull Age- what is to old to buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

etmountianman71

Reaction score
Simple question to ask.
What is to old of a bull to purchase to work about 10-15 cows?
Is a 6-7 year old bull that is a top performer in AI and natural breeding?
*Considerations:
1. Registered
2. Healthy
3. From Individuals not sale barn.

If he can pass a BSE and is sound enough to get the job done, I would not worry about age either.

Look at all the crotchety ole men still spreading their seeds around just fine. :lol: :lol:

branguscowgirl":168g9uqy said:
If he can pass a BSE and is sound enough to get the job done, I would not worry about age either.

Look at all the crotchety ole men still spreading their seeds around just fine. :lol: :lol:
May need a little blue pill tho.

M5farm":1n3t4qzg said:
branguscowgirl":1n3t4qzg said:

May need a little blue pill tho.
:lol: So true! :lol:

As long as he's sound, go for it. I actually like a bull old enough, for me to atleast see his calves.

with an old bull, his feet and legs are a main concern , if he is free moving , he will be fine , given he passes a BSE and he isnt huge (to heavy).I had a bull here last 13 years.

polledbull":2iyu31nr said:
with an old bull, his feet and legs are a main concern , if he is free moving , he will be fine , given he passes a BSE and he isnt huge (to heavy).I had a bull here last 13 years.
In your opinion what is too big?

If he's breeding heifers, I don't want them going much over 2000 lbs, for cows I'm not so concerned about weight.
We kept our last bull to 8 years and he was still fine. If it was reasonably possible I wouldn't mind having a piece of him in a tank too.
If he's sound, and passes the tests any bull should have to go through, you can get good genetics at a discounted (probably near butcher) price and still get a couple years out of him. I would recommend putting him through a BSE before every breeding season if you can to be safe though.

tom4018":2rsye5wb said:
polledbull":2rsye5wb said:

I wouldnt want him weighing 2400 lbs ,

polledbull":1qafgkl1 said:
tom4018":1qafgkl1 said:
polledbull":1qafgkl1 said:

I wouldnt want him weighing 2400 lbs ,

How about 2350? Where's the cutoff? My largest bull here now - simang- is only 4, but will be pushing that weight, I have to get him on a scale ( the next bull down from him just sold and was 2250, so I know he's over that). But either way he's light on his feet and a one and done bull. I'd still trust him on sturdy heifers.

Latest posts