bulbs to plant now

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
What kind of bulbs can i plant now for summer bloom, they have to be pretty and colorful? Also I was thinking of planting some weigela bushes and butterfly bushes, anyone ever plant these 2 types together? They are both hummingbird and butterfly attractants-is why i like them but unsure how they would look side by side.
Anyone have some other ideas what to plant in a mulched area by a house, that gets partial sun and shade?
Thanks

Off the top of my head and without looking at your gardening zone, Dahlias, Echinacia, Gladiolas, Lillies, Iris, Cannas,Peonies, can all be spring planted and you're later than me so you should still be fine to plant any of them. Foxglove is a good one for partial shade and hummingbirds. Bottle brush is a real easy choice here for hummingbirds but I don't know how hearty it would be where you're at. Agapanthis is another hummingbird favorite but I would bet that it needs more sun in your climate.

I'd pick lilies over gladiolas mostly because the gladiolas always tend to lean/fall over from the heavy blossoms.

If you have a sunny corner to let run wild, Cannas can be planted now (in my area anyway).
(warning--they WILL take over and are difficult to get rid of once they are well established)

Latest posts