Building Muscle

Help Support CattleToday:

WarriorPatriot

Reaction score
I recently found now that my show steer has his new coat growing in from all the brushing he's gotten, that he hardly has any muscle in his butt. I know hes a Holstein but he seems to have a mit less muscle than most. Maybe if I pose him so its not so obvious? He is nice in the front though. I've tried walking him fast, backing him up and all sorts of things to help but he's not gaining anything too fast, tips?

Ill get pics of him up this week...

I don't recall how old this one is, but my guess is he needs more grain. More specifically, I'd UP the corn ration. Holsteins don't have a lot of "muscle" on their hind ends or really anywhere, but with enough feed you can make them look pretty good. Another way of putting that is feed them to the point that they're "overconditioned" - the "polite" way of saying they're too fat. :lol:

Here's a heifer that's a little heavier than a holstein should probably be, but I like mine to have a bit more fat cover, especially in the wintertime.

telcey121105.JPG

Now compare her with this heifer who wasn't being fed right.

calf42.JPG

The easiest way to put that "muscle" on is with feed, not exercise.

milkmaid":2ncqfkwn said:

Wrong, the easiest way to put on muscle is with genetics, i.e. no dairy blood

dun

dun":2hlf1mwc said:
milkmaid":2hlf1mwc said:

dun

:lol: Well, that's perfectly true too...my comment was just in relation to Holsteins. They don't naturally carry much weight on the hind end, but with enough feed you can modify their appearance somewhat. ;-)

dun":12nunqbd said:
milkmaid":12nunqbd said:

dun

I cant help that he's dairy its not like I can change his blood to make him better. This one is my yearling steer. He actually looks like he has about the same build as the first heifer thats posted. He has quite a hay belly. Yes he's been fed on hay :oops: but hes fine

He needs to go on grain. That heifer in the first picture is getting about 14lbs per day of a corn/barley/cottonseed mix, and I'm also giving her free choice 2nd crop alfalfa hay. You don't want to know the feed bill on a weekly basis for that calf, but that's what it takes to put and keep that kind of weight on her - and continue to get that 2lb/day gain.

In addition, that heifer's not even 11 months old yet, and she's at least 750lbs. My boss thought she was closer to 800, which would be nice! ;-)

WarriorPatriot":35xgs8d4 said:
I cant help that he's dairy its not like I can change his blood to make him better.

You missed the point. You can;t expect a dairy steer to beef out and have hindquarters like a beef animal. Feed may fatten him some, but it won;t make muscle unless he has the genetics to build muscle.

dun

Ok heres a couple of him. I was in a bit of a hurry this morning so I didnt get real good ones and I realized I only to pics of his right side lol. I gave him some grain this morning and I'm going to keep him on it and see how he does. I think if I teach him to pose in the position that looks better its not noticable so Ill get some pics of him that way too and see what you all think

flavio8.jpg

flaviorear1.jpg

flavio6.jpg

flavio9.jpg

WarriorPatriot":2k6to5mq said:
dun":2k6to5mq said:
milkmaid":2k6to5mq said:

dun

I cant help that he's dairy its not like I can change his blood to make him better. This one is my yearling steer. He actually looks like he has about the same build as the first heifer thats posted. He has quite a hay belly. Yes he's been fed on hay :oops: but hes fine
I know that it is too late now - - but my question is: If you were seeking a "Club Calf" or a "Show Steer", what in the World possessed you to choose a Holstein steer? :shock: :roll: From the look out of his eye - even HE thinks you missed the chapter on "Beef Production"! You can't make a silk purse out of a Sows ear!

DOC HARRIS

Lol dunno just always loved Holsteins. And I dont like bulls heifers or cows that much so thats why I have a steer. The familys always had Holsteins, they just grew on me :)

Hehe I think thats the exact look he was giving me, I had made the mistake of feeding the calves near him and he saw the hay and lost it :roll: After a while it came to a just shoot me look lol :lol:

Here's some more pictures for you, WP.

Same calf as the first one...
telcey_dec20th05.JPG

Yes she's a little fat. :lol:

From above...
telceyfromabove.JPG

See all the fat cover over her shoulders and backbone?

I'm not exactly sure what's wanted out of a holstein steer 4H project...I've only done cows and heifers...so you may not want him this fat, or you may want him even heavier.

Now the same calf as the second one, but 60 days later after being put on good feed...
calf42at65days.jpg

Not the greatest picture, but still. She's put on some weight. I would still like to see even more weight on her, esp through the flank and brisket. And of course if she were on level ground that would be nice. LOL.

Your calf actually looks pretty good for being on just hay. I'm guessing once you put him on grain and he gets a little more frame and weight to him he'll lose that pot belly. Worming might be a good idea too.

Latest posts