bucthering bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

peb

Reaction score
Had 3 bull calfs that i missed banding this spring thought about letting them go untill they were about 800 or 900 lbs and buchtering them for family. Will the beef be fit to eat or should i cut them and then feed them out,Has anyone eaten bulls this size and what about the tenderness of the meat , thanks

I fed out both a bull and a steer this spring...about 950-1000lbs. Could not tell the difference...meat was outstanding. Free graze for 8 months and then closed up and fed 12% calf feed for 4 months. Cheers, Bill

Ate a steak last night that was from a yearling bull. Tasted just dandy.
He had never had the chance to breed a cow. I don't know if that would change the taste of the meat or not.

Your bull will be great, even better if you let him get up to 12 or 1300 lbs. A little more fat, tender, and maybe a bit marbled.
GOOD EATING!

mnmt

We slaughtered a red angus last winter (20 months) a good looking yeraling but the rear didn't catch up with the front. He did sire sone nice calves this spring.
Anyway...no problem with the meat, he had a nicer carcass than most steers and was really marbled, hung at 864#.
As long as they arn't chasing cows for a month or two I have no reservations about slaughtering a young bull.
DMc

We just butchered one that didn't measure up to being sold as a breeding bull. He is very good eating. Last animal we ate was a freemartin heifer and before that, a steer. All animals fed similarly, no difference in taste to us.
One comment about 'virgin' bulls. It's my opinion if the bull is running the pasture he will likely have less fat, and consequently could be a bit dryer, and tougher. If a bull is penned up he likely has 'relieved himself' as often as a breeding bull. It's the physical activity that causes a difference in flavor, not the breeding.

Latest posts