Bucking bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

jcissell

Reaction score
Do any of you breed bucking bulls here? I am seriously thinking about getting into the business alongside our cow/calf operation.

Josh

Probably the most profitable way to get into this is to get some grey brahman cows and breed them to hereford bulls. The tigerstripe heifer calves will be worth gold if sold as bred two year olds and you can buck out the bulls.

Best thing to do is find some stock contractors that need bulls and lease your bulls to them. There are also several bucking stock sales around the country where they buck the bulls (and broncs) and then bid on them in the arena. Might try this option too.

Subsoil":411xi71r said:
Probably the most profitable way to get into this is to get some grey brahman cows and breed them to hereford bulls. The tigerstripe heifer calves will be worth gold if sold as bred two year olds and you can buck out the bulls.

Best thing to do is find some stock contractors that need bulls and lease your bulls to them. There are also several bucking stock sales around the country where they buck the bulls (and broncs) and then bid on them in the arena. Might try this option too.

I thought the same thing. Ie the tiger stripes. But I was told by a man thatits in the business that good buckers are not necessarally wild and stupid. Not clam at the same time either. Good athletes is what he said was the key.

Scotty

Scotty.. that's what I have learned also. I've talked to many stock contractors, and the ones you think will buck (ie: ornery or mean) are not necessarily the ones that are good. They don't want the killer type anymore. Many of the bulls that are good buckers aren't "roguey" at all outside the arena.

And, contrary to popular opinion, being BRAHMAN does not make a bucking bull. Most bucking bulls don't have much Brahman influence at all.

Subsoil":293gduty said:
Best thing to do is find some stock contractors that need bulls and lease your bulls to them.

Could you elaborate a little more please. I have sold some highheaded heifers and cattle to local stock contractors. But I may be interested in leasing an athletic bull from time to time. Could you give me some details on how this type of lease works? Per week, per month, per buck out, percentage of the buck out fee, etc....? If I approached one of the contractors with a lease option, I would like to have a plan of some sort in mind, therefore I am very interested in what type of lease arrangements are common, or what type(s) you are familiar with. Thanks.

jcissell,
Here's the bottom line from my perspective: find others who have had success at this and track their methods and progress. Try getting in touch with Dillion and HD Page out of the Ardmore Oklahoma area. They have a great program for others raising bulls. Bob Talman (sp?) also started a bucking stock registry LONG before others realized what they needed to do. He has a program to help you grow bucking bulls based on your individual programs or plans.
With either of these folks and others like them you get what you really need in a bucking bull program: genetics. The color or type of bull is really not as important as the genetic tendancy to buck and buck well with lots of heart (can stand the miles and travelling). We used to track bucking progeny primarily through the bulls. But the folks who do this for a living found out that good bucking bulls come through breeding the great ones with cows that come from bucking bull herds as well.
For docgraybull: Leases are possible options if you have something that bucks already. Traditional leases had been for a set payment on each "out" that the bull had. But you would want to put a limit so that you don't overwork the bull as well. Some leases will be for a set amout for a year (again with limits on how many outs per year). The best way to see what you've got is to try the bull and see how he bucks. Most legitimate contractors will try them at their place -- gives them an option to lease/buy new bulls that will work for their programs. You could also get some good cowboys (not those gunsels who like to get on and buck off so that they can tell everybody at the bars that they can ride) to try your bulls for you. They'll know if you've got something that they want to ride and win on.
Tex

One of the studs has/had semen from some of the top bucking bulls. Just can't recall right now which one.
Seems like a couple of years ago they had some from Bodacious. But that semen is very pricey from proven bucking bulls.

dun

a few weeks ago they had some young bucking bulls & some young breeding stock for sale at superior livestock auction on rfd tv. they don't gibe those away.

Latest posts