Brush hogging dead grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is an interesting take on different management strategies for dealing with some of the things we have been talking about. Think what you want about Allan Savory, some people like him, others don't. I think he makes some interesting points, and at least made me think a little differently about the ways we manage our land.

http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_h ... anguage=en

bulldurham":35k6hswl said:
Someone needs to be planning cover crops and running cattle on those fields 'that aren't being used.'

Farming nearly all died in this area years ago.. Just a couple of us stubborn ones left.

I personally would leave it alone and cut the cows off of it when your ready too so it can start growing as hay. The grass will still grow underneath it and it still will be thick and good during your first cutting. There just might be some tall dead grass spread out in it. It won't hurt a thing.

A neighbor friend recommended a high protein lick and just locking the cows in that pasture. They have 285 acres to run on now and they aren't fed on the 80 acres that we are talking about but the gates are open. I may try locking them in there for a few days and seeing what happens.

OkieBrangus":u7f2iubb said:
A neighbor friend recommended a high protein lick and just locking the cows in that pasture. They have 285 acres to run on now and they aren't fed on the 80 acres that we are talking about but the gates are open. I may try locking them in there for a few days and seeing what happens.

That is great advice but a word of caution. I do this every year and the problem is that many times a cow cannot physically consume (lick) enough of the tub per day to met her protein/energy requirements. I have had to feed cotton seed cubes in addition to tubs. IF you're there everyday, I would just feed the cotton seed cubes as you will know exactly their level of consumption.

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all but I feel like your are worrying to much about it. I would just lock them off of it now and let it start growing back. The new green grass will overtake the dead grass in the long run. Once again, not trying to be a know it all or anything just stating my opinion here.

and forego the utilization of the grass? Poor advice. Look at the calendar bro, summer pastures aren't going to coming on for awhile now.

toughntender":1dg79m3i said:
M5 you are absolutely right about the benefits of "prescribed" burning. The operative word there is "prescribed." As in part of a greater plan. Fire used every so often to control brush or other invasive species is great and often necessary. However when its used to often it does more harm than good. Too many guys use it far to often as a crutch to overcome some other problem. Say you were to burn a piece of property once every 5 or 10 years, just to control brush. You will have at least four years to build up organic matter. Remember fire sterilizes the soil too, not just gets rid of the dead grass. My ultimate point is that there are other ways to deal with this problem.
Burning does add some potash to the soil tho and can also change /\ the pH if you work it in to acidic or low pH soils. .

bulldurham":2fpwjil9 said:
and forego the utilization of the grass? Poor advice. Look at the calendar bro, summer pastures aren't going to coming on for awhile now.

Bro it's February the pastures start growing back in March prolly about a month from now. There is also winter grass that will grow this time of year and green up. Close it up for about a month let the winter grass grow then turn them in. They will eat up a lot of the dead grass then. And it will also give them some green pickings right before the spring grass comes.

I also like the idea of burning it. That will help the ground a lot as well. If you don't need the grass that would be an idea to consider in my opinion.

Big Cheese":2blgu204 said:
bulldurham":2blgu204 said:

Bro it's February the pastures start growing back in March prolly about a month from now. There is also winter grass that will grow this time of year and green up. Close it up for about a month let the winter grass grow then turn them in. They will eat up a lot of the dead grass then. And it will also give them some green pickings right before the spring grass comes.

I also like the idea of burning it. That will help the ground a lot as well. If you don't need the grass that would be an idea to consider in my opinion.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. Didn't even know grass grew in the summer in Texas. :???:

When does your grass start growing good in Texas Brute? I know when I go to Dallas during June or July for a Rangers game that I never usually see any good grass. It has to be even tougher in your area.

It'll be late april-May before summer grasses start coming on in the dfw area.

You never see any good grass in Dallas in June or July?? LOLOL When do you think all the coastal Bermuda is being baled?

You might get some winter grasses/ legumes coming up in the next 30 days but it will be a minimum of 60 days before summer grass starts growing in North Texas

I see dead grass with cows grazing on it during that time. I can tell when a field has just been baled so I promise you I would know if that was why it didn't look good. A lot of dirt in the pastures. We start growing grass around the middle of March. First of April all of the pastures are green and we are usually done feeding hay but we usually keep a few out to help calm their stomachs down from the new grass. They eat it when they need it.

This is almost comical. I'm sure you do see dead grass in June and July. There will be a lot of dead rye grass and clovers in my pasture come June/July. That's what happens when a grass' life cycle is completed. It dies! '

You do not start growing summer grasses in March in Arkansas. Your spring perennials will just be barely coming on strong at that time.

So your telling you know more about my pastures then I do?? I guess that green ankle to calf deep grass that I have from March on is just dead grass?? Your the comical one my friend. You think your to smart for your own good. We have spring grass types and summer grass types. Different types of grass grows during those time. The best grass that grows is the spring grass the cows love it and the hay when we bale it in May is our best hay. If you look back in my post I never said SUMMER grass starts growing in March I said GREEN grass starts coming up in March.

The dead grass is see is mostly dirt when I go through to Dallas during that time that's why asked when the grass starts growing because it is a different environment in Texas then here. Worry about your pasture and quit telling people how their pasture is suppose to or should grow when you have no idea how it actually grows year in and year out.

We cut hay into October this year but it was a really wet summer this year. That's usually not a yearly thing for us. If you have good ground in your pasture there will be always be some green patches throughout it during the winter. When you have that you know you are doing good.

Brute 23":1es1hetg said:
Our coastal can be out in FEB. Some of the Tifton stayed green all winter. When you get rain you can be bailing hay in April-May. By July & August its dried up. We usually make a second run at hay Sept-Oct.

Been many years since I wasn't able to get a cutting of coastal in July. There will be no coastal growing till early April minimum here. Sure you might see an occasional sprig but... It's supposed to be low 20s here in DFW next week. I think it's pretty universally accepted that the hybrid bermudas won't really come on until nighttime temps start getting above 50.

--Back to the original question: You'd be foolish not to utilize the stockpiled grass you already have. All it needs is some protein supplementation in order for your cows to be able to efficiently utilize it--

bulldurham":3uhkyxr8 said:
Brute 23":3uhkyxr8 said:
Our coastal can be out in FEB. Some of the Tifton stayed green all winter. When you get rain you can be bailing hay in April-May. By July & August its dried up. We usually make a second run at hay Sept-Oct.

Been many years since I wasn't able to get a cutting of coastal in July. There will be no coastal growing till early April minimum here. Sure you might see an occasional sprig but... It's supposed to be low 20s here in DFW next week. I think it's pretty universally accepted that the hybrid bermudas won't really come on until nighttime temps start getting above 50.

--Back to the original question: You'd be foolish not to utilize the stockpiled grass you already have. All it needs is some protein supplementation in order for your cows to be able to efficiently utilize it--

Dallas and the Gulf Coast are two different worlds weather wise. Our weather is different than 60mi North or West.

Latest posts