Brown Swiss

Help Support CattleToday:

Poundsy

Reaction score
Kinda a wierd question but, does this particular breed have a tendency to eat anything? We raise beef cattle but every once in a while we will buy a bottle calf and keep it at the house for the kids. Last year I purchased a brown swiss bottle calf and had no health problems at all. I was happy with his gain and he actually tasted delicious. The only problem was he would eat anything. I parked the tractor in the pasture while mowing to take a break. All the beef cattle come over and investigate like normal,but he comes over and eats the freaking seat(cover and foam!). When I would turn them to another pasture he would go straight for briars. He ate half the plastic off a small mineral tube. He ate my sons glove. God knows what he ate when I wasn't watching. Is this just a fluke or does this particular breed have a tendency to eat like a goat? He was a very docile and loving steer.

All bottle calves eat/suckle everything. We had to cover our dog's bed with shade cloth because the calves were ruining the fabric and making a mess. The sleeves of my shirts were stretched from that time also. The same 2 steer calves would eat anything you put in front of them although they were quite partial to passion fruit and potato chips. One was an angus and the other was a simmangus. Definitely a calf thing, not a breed thing.

Latest posts