Brown Swiss

Help Support CattleToday:

He AIed every year to angus bulls and every year that jersey had a red calf that outweighed any of the other calves.
:shock: red calf - no way AI'd to Angus. :D

Anyway, Jersey cattle (as a breed) is the MEANEST bovine. The bull studs say they are killers - across the breed. Pound for pound they will "hold their own" with other cattle.
Jersey cattle have the highest butterfat - and yes, butterfat does help the calf grow faster. That is one of the assests of the Simmental breed - higher butterfat than any other beef breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2py6d6ad said:
Anyway, Jersey cattle (as a breed) is the MEANEST bovine. The bull studs say they are killers - across the breed. Pound for pound they will "hold their own" with other cattle.

I took my first College Animal Science class from a real old professor and according to him, (if my memory serves) back in the Depression when Jerseys were the Number one breed of cattle used in Alabama (every homestead had 2-5 milk cows then) we had an absurd number of human deaths (something like 100+) one year from psychotic Jersey bulls. My grandfather had a Jersey bull his first year in the cattle biz in the 40s; but switched to Herefords and never looked back.

Back when Carnation Genetics had their stud in Carnation Washington, the facilitys had been set up for Holsteins and Polled Herefords. When they phased out the Herefords the brought in Jerseys and used the same pens. Every morning there woould be several Jerseys bulls in the same pen standing around exhausted from fighting all night. Occasional injurys but mostly just torn up facilitys and tired bulls.

dun

I have some herf/jersey crosses that I breed to an angus bull. The calves are anywhere from 50 -75 lbs heavier than my herf/ angus and limangus calves. Must be the extra butterfat in the milk.

I saw a frma recently that milked holsteins as well as Ayrshires. That was my first time seeing that breed. They also had a bull to.

A fair amount of Gernseys and Brown Swiss in Wisconsin. My wife's relation have Gernseys - - some look fine but many have poor legs or limited capacity. Perhaps there is some whitetail in the wood pile.

Many grass fed daires are moving to Jersey or Jersey cross cows. Good reproduction, good longivity, and they do not require a TMR but bull calves are not worth much at the sales barn.

I have raised a couple Jersey x Holstein calves. They really liked to eat but did not put on weight very fast.

Was talking with the man I mentioned earlier that has jerseys. Seems that he knows several dairy farmers and they will "cull" a cow if her milk is not above a certain rate (obviously a high rate for a dairyman), and he has a deal to buy all of them. Sometimes he gets calves as well, but he gets more 4 and 5 year olds who just aren't producing as much milk as the others. At $700 would this be considered a bargain for a beef farmer? He has several now that are bred to calve in the spring. Haven't seen them, but I'm thinking about just visiting to take a look.

Any thoughts?

cypressfarms":2fuus013 said:
Was talking with the man I mentioned earlier that has jerseys. Seems that he knows several dairy farmers and they will "cull" a cow if her milk is not above a certain rate (obviously a high rate for a dairyman), and he has a deal to buy all of them. Sometimes he gets calves as well, but he gets more 4 and 5 year olds who just aren't producing as much milk as the others. At $700 would this be considered a bargain for a beef farmer? He has several now that are bred to calve in the spring. Haven't seen them, but I'm thinking about just visiting to take a look.

Any thoughts?
:shock: :shock: I'm lost. If you are a BEEF producer/farmer, WHY would you ever consider getting a dairy animal of ANY breed??? Their lack of muscling and too much milk will haunt you forever - as a beef producer. Better to take that $700 and put it towards something that will produce BEEF.

cypressfarms":3qu1rgu0 said:

Any thoughts?

I agree with Jean, that buying subpar genetics just because they are cheap may not be the best LONGTERM strategy in this business. That said, $700 a cow is a very good deal.

You guys ever heard of dairy beef? There a lot of holstein and holstein X angus steers that end up hamburger. Where I live in PA dairies are the dominant form of farming. Lots of holstein x angus bull calves at the sale barns bought to feed out for hamburger and will even grade as good as some continentals.

What do dairy heifers go for down south? Are they mostly Jerseys? Up here it is crazy. A day or two old holstein heifer will sell for $500-$1000.

Also a jersey/angus calf might not grow as big or fit "the box" but is great to sell for freezer beef and if finished will easily be the best quality beef you can buy. Although yield will suffer.

BTW did you know that next to Waygu, Jersey will marble better than any other breed of cattle. Even angus!

the dairy crossbred stock cows or straight bred cows will wean a heavier calf everytime.an if you dont grain them heavy their bags wont blow up.as yall well know i dont follow trends.the beef cattle i run arnt pretty.but they do make great money with their calves.so dont judge people on the type of cattle they run.it doesnt make you look to good.everyone has their own way of doing things.

I'll second that. I think it depends on your perspective. There are two types of people who farm. Farmers that farm with money and farmers that farm for money. Depending on which one you fit your whole perspective is different.

I see Brandonm2's point about subpar genetics, but anyone with an eye for stock should be able to look at a critter - dairy or beef - and tell if they're burgers or breeders. If their feet are crooked and structure is poor, rail 'em. My Brown Swiss was the first dairy animal I'd bought, but I could tell right off she was well put up. I got her for $700 CDN - $200 US :lol: - and I think she was a steal.

A few of my BBF are Angus X Milking Shorthorn, which I'm sure I've yacked about before, and you can see it in their makeup. But, when crossed back Gelbvieh, Angus or Galloway, BINGO! We have a winner. ;-)

theres a 3rd type of farmer.the 1 that loves to farm no matter what.an will keep doing so.i dont care how you look at it theres no money in cattle reg grade or crossbreeds.

cypressfarms":15twn1ob said:

Any thoughts?

Pretty good deal in my book. Even if decided you didn't like them later, but took a bit of time to work with them...Jersey nurse cows around here are $1400. Double your money. A 4-5 y/o cow that's not producing that great would still raise you one fat and sassy calf. I'd be willing to bet that a cow that's "not producing well enough" is still giving 2-4 gallons/day, and she'd likely milk 5-6 after calving. Calf only "needs" a gallon a day. May have to put a second (or third) calf on her, but that's not that big a deal, and it gives you another calf to sell. :)

I've picked up several 4-6 y/o dairy culls and they make some nice cows for me. I raised four holstein/angus crosses on one nurse cow this summer, and sold them this fall at the beef price. Folks at the auction musta thought they were straight angus, lol, but then with the weight that cow put on those calves they looked angus.

Several beef folks around here have one dairy cow running with their beef herds. Jersey or holstein. If you were just selling the cow's calf every year, you wouldn't have dairy genetics in your herd, but you'd have a pretty nice calf to sell. I'd at least take a look. ;-)

bigbull338":14xhfnjd said:
theres a 3rd type of farmer.the 1 that loves to farm no matter what.an will keep doing so.i dont care how you look at it theres no money in cattle reg grade or crossbreeds.
LOL Its really pretty easy to make money right now but its no surprise that some peopel cant make money with cattle...maybe managment related?????

tapeworm you just keep kicking an spurring at [eople dont you.but hey we all know people that do that are all blow an no go.your just showing how little you know bout anything.i can out do you on mangement anyday of the week.but i dont bragg an call people idiots like you do.macon must be a pretty good fellow for putting up with your crapp.no telling how meny good people youve run off cattle today.

bigbull338":hovre0q8 said:
tapeworm you just keep kicking an spurring at [eople dont you.but hey we all know people that do that are all blow an no go.your just showing how little you know bout anything.i can out do you on mangement anyday of the week.but i dont bragg an call people idiots like you do.macon must be a pretty good fellow for putting up with your crapp.no telling how meny good people youve run off cattle today.

just to set the record strait I never called anybody here an idiot even tho Ive been called one
I cant stand bragging and if Ive ever come across as bragging or being something Im not I am real sorry...I just try to be me..sure nothing to brag about there

I sure hope Ive never run anybody off from here but i also dont want peopel to be run out ofthe cow business...I want everbody to make money with there cattle...we HAVE to make money more years than not to stay in it. For you to brag about how you make your living runnin cattle and then say theres no money in it...well somethings just not right there

I also wish you would please stop yourhinting around to Mister Gravelee..youve done that before.I dont want to get in trouble again. Mr Gravelee doesnt like arguing...I dont want to be kicked out...I like most everbody here and hope that I can help some folks from time to time
Since theres rules against arguing Id best not say any more...you have a pleasant day bigbull

Latest posts