broken rear wheel studs

Help Support CattleToday:

rditz

Reaction score
I have a JD510 tractor and noticed that 3 of the 6 studs on the one rear wheel have snapped off. from the looks of them, they have been cracked for sometime.

I guess I need to know two things... 1) is there an easy way to get these out (do they punch out, do I need heat???), 2) are these a common size?? (they are 11/16" in dia x 2 1/2" long)

I don't want to do too much with it in this condition as I would prefer to fix it at the garage, rather then in the field...

Thanks

rod

I'm not too familiar with that model but if it has dry brakes then yes the studs will be press fit in the drums. You will need to remove the brake drum to repair. I would press them out if it were me. Beating them out can cost you a brake drum also. Make sure the drum is supported around the stud, don't use the drum and just push on the stud. The drum will need a large socket or something similar behind it to prevent it from breaking. Put the socket around the stud being pressed out and make sure the socket is taller than the drum so there is no pressure on the outside of the drum.

the brakes are seaparate on this tractor... the brakes are apparantly like a clutch.. only the reverse... there is one on either side... will know later tonight after i take the wheel off and open them up...
I can see the back of the hub and the can see the back of the studs.

I have ordered studs from JD, so when they arrive I will know for sure... I can't order the nuts though, so I will have to figure that out later...

well, got the brakes apart.. they do operate like a clutch and have two clutch plates. there is a splined shaft that is ahead of the main axle. the hub bolts on to it ... there is a machined surface against the chassis, then a clutch, another (two piece) machined plate(s) another clutch and then the hub cover (with a macined surface). out of the bottom there is a lever and when the brke pedal is depressed, it pulls on the centre pices which pushes outwarly in both directions and presses the clutches against the chassis and hub...

when i got this apart i could see the surfaces were all glazed over.. it was only when i was putting it back together when i discovered that the clutches no longer had their teeth for going over the spline shaft.. these plates were not going to stop anything... no i have to see if they can be ordered...

rod

I know the feeling. My old tractors don't have brakes anymore. Fortunately we are flat landers down here.

Tractordata.com says your tractor was made in Germany. JD should have parts for it.

Glad you are getting it fixed, a friend had a tragic accident when his wheel center broke out and his tractor overturned with him and his son on it . His son was killed. I never heard of that happening but he said it looked like the wheel had been cracked for some time.
Fred

rditz, I just realized I was thinking about the real old fords where the drum was held on by an axle nut. I bet you studs are in the hub of the axle and not built into the drum. This may be harder or easier for you. With the right little press you may be able to just press them out if there is room without removing the axle.

I was just thinking about it and I realized what I had told you was for an old Jubilee and the newer models I have seen have the stud in the axle hub not the drum. Sorry if I confused you.

well, I got a set of torches and heated up the hub nice and hot and with a few cracks with the hammer, they came right out...

picking up the new studs today and hopefully I can match up a couple of nuts as well..

thanks for all of your replies..

rod

rditz":383xq6mj said:
well, I got a set of torches and heated up the hub nice and hot and with a few cracks with the hammer, they came right out...

picking up the new studs today and hopefully I can match up a couple of nuts as well..

thanks for all of your replies..

rod

Great, I was having a brain toot when I was thinking about the old fords. Yeah you can wack the hubs a little more than a drum.

WATCH OUT....heating with a torch can change the tensile tempering of the piece you are heating. Heating and allowing to cool naturally will soften the metal it is in. if the studs are like the automotive type with the gear teeth that keep it in the support you might have a problem with it getting loose in the future with repeated stress on the support....keep, them lug nuts real tight!! :shock:

Latest posts