Broken stuff.

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
I'm hard on stuff. No doubt about it. To top it off I'm not much of a welder.
Some time ago I broke this:
GwXzfKP.jpg

Off of this:
sv01CPt.jpg

Fortunately my boy is pretty handy in the welding department. He baceame available and offered to lend his services. Probably a few days welding here.
9xKxx5m.jpg

Going to have to do a bunch of fish plating and replace some floor of the bucket too.

Looks like he has the gear to do it too. What sort of steel are you using to patch up the bucket? I have a bit of wear patching to do to my buckets soon. I was thinking of using a bit of spring steel as wear strips under the bucket.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Looks like he has the gear to do it too. What sort of steel are you using to patch up the bucket? I have a bit of wear patching to do to my buckets soon. I was thinking of using a bit of spring steel as wear strips under the bucket.

Ken

I have some plain old 1/2" plate I will patch into the bucket floor, and add some strips of AR (abrasion resistant) to that. I will use the mild steel for fish plating on the sides of the bucket, and then use some hard surfacing on that. It's not like this thing works thousands of hours a year so hopefully that will do it.
I would guess that spring steel would be good, especially with some hard surfacing beads across that surface.

when welding the hard surface on, you should weld "O"s , the theory behind it is the O fills up with dirt and you wear on the dirt.
Leaf spring from semi trucks is pretty good, I've made a few subsoiler tips with it, it does wear, we got lots of rock here, but it's cheap