Broken Leg Update

Help Support CattleToday:

bwranch":323oal09 said:
You are a legend in your own mind and a pompous jerk.

OK, so I am just now reading this topic. Calvin at the "hobby farm" gets a litte hairy at times and keeps me busy.

Lee,
Caustic and I have our differences, which unfortunatly ya'll get to witness on a public forum. But no one, and I mean NO ONE calls my kin names like that.
Even though you hit the nail on his hard head...only family can get away with nonsence like that. You are lucky I cooled off before posting. Macon would have ended up banning me.

Try to be civil. Caustic may be a pompous jerk, but he is my brother. And because this is the USA you and him have the right to call each other whatever you want. But privately. In the future, keep a level head so I don't have to flatten it, please.

Chuckie, Thank you for posting a follow-up. I am curious, though, how her water breaking would have killed her. I could understand that if she went into labor in the sling for it could cause the death of the calf but I just don;t understand how it killed the otherwise healthly cow? Please explain.

bwranch":202cii3f said:
Muratic":202cii3f said:
bwranch":202cii3f said:
You are a legend in your own mind and a pompous jerk.

In the future, keep a level head so I don't have to flatten it, please.

Check your PM and quit hiding when you make threats.

Lee

Ok, everyone continually jumps into conversations. seldom is one particular person asked a question for a response and only that person replys Caustic speaks the truth whether you like it or not, maybe comes across a little harsh at times, but that is just his personality. Full bore all the time, no holds barred and pulls no strings...straight to the point. He has no cavities bacause he uses sugar on nothing.

Now, you check your pm.

~Muratic

Cattle Rack Rancher":1l0hocop said:
Being a Cattleman is not a job for the soft hearted, sometimes you may have to make tough decisions based on what is right for your animals. If that means the shooting them because they won't recover, then that's what you need to do. Not much fun, but that's just the way it is.

I nearly hate to get in on this one but.....I agree that tough decisions must be made. Apparently this mystery man made the very tough decision to try and heal this cow. May have been ill fated and ill advised from the get go, but that is the decision he made, and he apparently stuck with it. Deciding to try to give her a chance to heal, and then carrying through with the treatment plan day after day, and not abandoning it is a heckuva tough thing to do. That is much more difficult than shooting her on the first day - that would have been the easy decision (way). Though it wasn't the "standard of care" (which would obviously have been to shoot and kill her) he made that decision and apparently worked hard at it, and whether anyone agrees with his approach, he deserves some credit for trying hard to do what he thought was best.

Chuckie":2r2nlzqo said:
tapeworm, I had no say so over the cow, it was not mine. But I don't criticize the man for trying. He wasn't going to be gone long, but had to leave her. He said she had been lying down all night and wanted her to stand for a few hours. He couldn't stand over her the entire time. When he got back, she was dead. It happened quickly, within a couple of hours what ever caused it. This man runs many cattle on 700 acres of land. He has his heard cut down a bit now, after culling, and is going to add more this year with young heifers. He is a kind man and has been doing this for many years. He is not a hobby rancher, and works hard. I am impressed with what all he does. I guess he would work circles around most. He is always out on the bull dozier, improving the land or working on the fences and barns. The days we can get away to visit, it means we are helping him bale hay, moving it, cutting silage, planting, vaccinating, banding etc..... And in turn he helps us. I must say I like helping him more since he has two airconditioned cab JD's. I always said a real farmer doesn't have an airconditioned cab on his tractor! (Out of jealousy)

reminds me of what a friend of mine told me a long time ago... he said when he bought his place.. the older man that was getting out of the cattle business told him...

people will try to tell you what to do many times and how to do it... but in the end.. it is your place and you are the boss..

some decisions are hard and it is easy to criticize using hindsight ..

jt

sidney411, the mystery man only told me she was dead when he returned and her water had broke. I guess he figured he had done all he could do. The mystery man doesn't have a computer, he doesn't read this forum, and I posted what I thought would be of some interest since I had never heard of anyone trying to save a cow with a broken leg. I thought maybe someone here could tell me something I could pass on to the gentleman since he was trying. I am sure her death was not only from her water breaking, but probably ruptured something, who knows. It could have been many things. He said she was eating when he left. A dead cow is a dead cow, and an autopsy on one that was in a sling with a broken leg wouldn't really help you in the future. If he found several cows dead in a field, then I am sure he would have wanted to know the reason why. If it had of been my cow, I would not have the professional help that this gentleman had. He had an orthopedic doctor and RN to help. I would have to put her down since I also wouldn't have the time to work on her with my job outside of the farm. I find it odd that this topic starts arguments between people here. If it is your cow and you don't want to try, then shoot it. If you want to try to fix it, then do so. I am glad that somewhere in the past, we decided when people and animals were sick or injured, that it might be prevented or cured. In that case, all of us would most likely be dead according to the ages of the tombstones I see from the 1800's, and all of the cattle would have died of diseases we vaccinate them for.

Some times you do the best job you can and it still comes out bad.
Always do want you think is best. Your a better man for it.

Latest posts