Broadway AI bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":3kyr0hf8 said:
Till-Hill":3kyr0hf8 said:
Only reason we do is to shy away from Legacy/Shear Force. quote]

Why do you avoid Shear Force lines?
Already have enough. And still have shear force semen on shear force and last 2/3 bulls have been from hooks with at least a shot or two of legacy

Had a Broadway today. Two weeks early, and 30 pounds. A heifer calf. Dam is a heifer herself, embryo, Broker sired. Negative calving ease, 4 pound birth weight epd. Glad everything worked out, except now heifer and calf are in the barn until I am sure she nurses without assistance. My experience with Broadway calves have been good so far, maybe too small!

Here is an updated picture of that Broadway calf we had, we call her Mouse. She and her Broker dam are doing great. They got kicked out the next day, when we saw Mouse aggressively nursing her dam. She may be small, but she does not lack enthusiasm! Her dam seems to have a picture perfect udder too.... the pair will be sold in our fall sale this December. She herself is an embryo we raised, sired by Broker out of the SOSF Joy's Shadow cow. We have a fall heifer from that same batch of embryos we are keeping.

I am strongly considering Broadway for my Angus/Holstein cross heifers after they calve in the Fall. Is the 26 milk epd too high here though?

Cada22":24oin9ox said:
I am strongly considering Broadway for my Angus/Holstein cross heifers after they calve in the Fall.
Is the 26 milk epd too high here though?
I think so as simmental is 3-4 lbs more than angus putting it at nearly 30 on angus scale, angus breed ave. 24
so if you want to use simmental on cow with1/2 holstein blood I'd suggest staying well under 21 on simmental scale.

To knock milk down the go to breeds are:
1. Hereford
2. Limo
3. Maine-Anjou

Son of Butch":18owp8wi said:
Cada22":18owp8wi said:
I am strongly considering Broadway for my Angus/Holstein cross heifers after they calve in the Fall.
Is the 26 milk epd too high here though?
I think so as simmental is 3-4 lbs more than angus putting it at nearly 30 on angus scale, angus breed ave. 24
so if you want to use simmental on cow with1/2 holstein blood I'd suggest staying well under 21 on simmental scale.

Thank you very much for the info

To knock milk down the go to breeds are:
1. Hereford
2. Limo
3. Maine-Anjou

Cada22":cm8ipkq9 said:
Are there any low milk SIMM bulls that fit this scenario?
I have a lot of experience doing what you are doing. Adding flesh to them Holstein cross cows is a lot more important than taking away some of the milk in my trials with it. We got 50-60 of them running around here, Spring and Fall calving.

Simmental bull I have the best luck with is: http://www.universalsemensales.com/bree ... start-r238

Cheap semen, use him on heifers and cows and he makes awfully good steers and some great momma cows on that cross.

FlyingLSimmentals":3oohuqfh said:
Might look at HTP SVF In Dew Time. Milk an 8.2

Terrible udder shape on the 15 or 20 we have had here. Culled a 3 year old cow few years ago with tits size of a 2 liter bottle.

Till-Hill":3u6yaijj said:
FlyingLSimmentals":3u6yaijj said:
Might look at HTP SVF In Dew Time. Milk an 8.2

Terrible udder shape on the 15 or 20 we have had here. Culled a 3 year old cow few years ago with tits size of a 2 liter bottle.

Genex claims great females with excellent udders? What happened? Is it a Ho thing?

Mine were all pure beef animals. Some some high dollar deals. Even a flush I did at home. I got semen left on him I wouldn't use on a holstein

Till-Hill":r68m14hc said:
Cada22":r68m14hc said:
I have a lot of experience doing what you are doing. Adding flesh to them Holstein cross cows is a lot more important than taking away some of the milk in my trials with it. We got 50-60 of them running around here, Spring and Fall calving.

Simmental bull I have the best luck with is: http://www.universalsemensales.com/bree ... start-r238

Cheap semen, use him on heifers and cows and he makes awfully good steers and some great momma cows on that cross.

Good looking bull that I will check more into. What kind of supplemental feeding do you have to do to get cows of this cross to breed back quickly?

Cada22":qaqh52tp said:
Till-Hill":qaqh52tp said:
Cada22":qaqh52tp said:

Good looking bull that I will check more into. What kind of supplemental feeding do you have to do to get cows of this cross to breed back quickly?
Spring cows are treated same as regular stock cows, grass in summer and hay in winter. Falls get a 94% Roughage TMR in winter, very little or no corn/corn silage. They hang right in there. Key is to get weight back on them after you wean calves.

Till-Hill":29xaxcdw said:
Cada22":29xaxcdw said:
Till-Hill":29xaxcdw said:

Spring cows are treated same as regular stock cows, grass in summer and hay in winter. Falls get a 94% Roughage TMR in winter, very little or no corn/corn silage. They hang right in there. Key is to get weight back on them after you wean calves.

Good to know. How long do you wait to breed them back after calving?

We calve in under 90 day window. So bull goes out same time every year. You want on average cow to breed back 85 days post Calving to maintain a 12 month Calving interval

PRS Blazin' Hot W192: https://www.cattlevisions.com/detail.php?BullId=3306

We've used him quite a bit, and have several really nice daughters coming on... I'd not really noticed his low milk epd (4.5) until just recently... as we were more concerned with other traits. First daughters will calve out next year... we'll see if they have 'enough' milk... their dams sure do.
I'm not sure how a 4.5 Simmental milk epd stacks up against an Angus milk epd... but he's in the bottom 1% of the breed. Might be a good choice to 'dry up' some HO-X cows... and still get nice growthy, docile steers/heifers out of the deal.

Lucky_P":2h1t71t5 said:
PRS Blazin' Hot W192: https://www.cattlevisions.com/detail.php?BullId=3306

We've used him quite a bit, and have several really nice daughters coming on... I'd not really noticed his low milk epd (4.5) until just recently... as we were more concerned with other traits. First daughters will calve out next year... we'll see if they have 'enough' milk... their dams sure do.
I'm not sure how a 4.5 Simmental milk epd stacks up against an Angus milk epd... but he's in the bottom 1% of the breed. Might be a good choice to 'dry up' some HO-X cows... and still get nice growthy, docile steers/heifers out of the deal.

Does he throw baldies?

Yep. Every Blazin Hot calf I can remember was a baldy... all the daughters we've retained were; most with some chrome on legs or underline, as well... but the base cowherd has a strong Simmental background (and some Holstein several generations back behind some of them), so some of the chrome is coming from the dam side.
Will be disappointing if these BH daughters are dry... 'cause they sure are nice.

Latest posts