Broadcast marshall ryegrass?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime":3qzprg8j said:
Mike, the extension agent here did mention another ryegrass variety that was rust resistant. Probably the Gulf you're talking about. I've used the Marshall here for the past two years with excellent results. Your reasons for using Gulf instead of Marshall make good sense though. Depends on your situation which you'd be better off using.

If not for ryegass grazing last winter and spring, with the hay shortage we had here, I would have been wholesale unloading some pretty good cows. I like the ryegrass. :)
Jackson ryegrass, maybe?

Broadcast 100lb/acre of Wintergrazer 70 Rye ($18.75/bag) past Saturday. Got a big rain on it Sat nite, and yesterday (Mon) it was already sprouting. It was sewn into Bahai. I bushhogged after broadcasting. I'm not sure how it's going to do - we'll see.

Info said keep cattle off until secondary root system developed. If I do get a stand, figure I'll fertilize after bahai goes dormant...

Looking for some fall grazing and (from what I read) cereal rye is up quicker and more cold hardy than anything else...

I booked 10 tons of Gulf ryegrass seed a few months back at $19.50 for 50 lb. bags. ($0.39 per lb.)

Look for rygrass prices to be nearly double next year. :shock:

Latest posts