Broadcast marshall ryegrass?

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorn314

Reaction score
I have never messed with a winter annual but with as bad a drought gonna try something.I know that drilling is the best way with marshall but can it also do just as good broadcasting it?Thanks for any suggestions

Don't know anything about "Marshall" ryegrass. However, last Fall I broadcast some "Fast Pasture Mix" (rye, etc.) from Genetic Seed Co., in Midlothian, TX. Got pretty good stand starting in spring...at least what cattle didn't eat as soon as it came up. Also did some broadcasting of Oats...however, even with rain due, the blackbirds descended on me and probably ate 90% of oat seeds before had chance to germinate.

I might add that I drug a rigid tooth harrow over the ground before and after broadcasting the seeds. Also it helped to distribute the manure patties.

For best results you need it sowed with a no-till drill. That's my vote. I have planted it before. More ways than one.

longhorn314":1uvgk9jt said:
I have never messed with a winter annual but with as bad a drought gonna try something.I know that drilling is the best way with marshall but can it also do just as good broadcasting it?Thanks for any suggestions

I've never drill any. Always broadcast it. Prepare soil,cultipack,broadcast and cultipack again. I've also broadcast in thinning spots of fescue with Marshall rg. Just in front of a tropical storm. Seed were on top of the ground and it came up just as good as the other way I mentioned. It'll come up anywhere it makes ground contact with the good moisture. When I used the ATV to seed I even tried it in some thinning wooded areas. It came up there too. It was nice to see cattle grazing in the woods at Christmas.

Picked up my seed today. Now we just need some rain and lots of it. It ain't looking good at all right now. Very dry. Fire danger is high also.

i have had pretty good luck with braodcasting marshall over prepared soil. mixed a little wheat to help spread the ryegrass better. tried broadcasting over fescue and it was a waste of time and money. better to drill if you don't have any prepared soil. JMO

At the price of MRG seed, if it isn;t bare prepared ground I'ld drill it to get the best chance of having the money spent on seed give me the best payoff.

We have used the Marshall RG and we just broadcast it. No prep. It would be better to do some prep work but we never do and have had good results. I noticed the neighbor disked the area he was doing and he had better results but not enough IMO to do all that prep.

You can strow out ryegrass seed anywhere and it'll come up to a stand provided the summer annuals have gone dormant and you get adequate moisture. Problem is, the first time a cow takes a bite, plant roots and all come up. Drill it at the rate of 30-40lb/ac, you get a much deeper and stronger root system, and the cows won't pull it up.

Well, I don't know why Longhorn314 said Marshall, but the extension agent here where I live says it's the best to plant here. Other varieties get some kind of rust disease or something of that nature. Mike, if you have better info, let's hear it.

ga. prime":3obkh86w said:
Well, I don't know why Longhorn314 said Marshall, but the extension agent here where I live says it's the best to plant here. Other varieties get some kind of rust disease or something of that nature. Mike, if you have better info, let's hear it.

It's just that I've used both and see no better hay or grazing advantages over Gulf Ryegrass.

In fact, from what I understand, the fact that Marshall lasts a few weeks longer into summer is the main attraction.

I'd rather not have that because it screws up my perinnial pasture grasses.

It could be my soil though..................................

P.S. My extension agents don't have a clue. ;-)

MikeC":zzbem03f said:
Why Marshall?
I'm kinda just asking for some suggestions on Marshall,like I said,I have never messed with a winter annual until now and I live on TN/KY border and some farmers about 30min. south of me are using Marshall a lot so I thought I would find out about it.

Mike, the extension agent here did mention another ryegrass variety that was rust resistant. Probably the Gulf you're talking about. I've used the Marshall here for the past two years with excellent results. Your reasons for using Gulf instead of Marshall make good sense though. Depends on your situation which you'd be better off using.

If not for ryegass grazing last winter and spring, with the hay shortage we had here, I would have been wholesale unloading some pretty good cows. I like the ryegrass. :)

If not for ryegass grazing last winter and spring, with the hay shortage we had here, I would have been wholesale unloading some pretty good cows. I like the ryegrass.

Ryegrass and clover has gotten me through several winters of little hay also.

Got me through last year with NO hay. :oops:

I used to broad cast it every year. With the price of renting a drill for the small amount that I was doing it was more cost effective to sling more seed per acre.
Anyway I've always had good luck with it, but I've always slung it earlier than other people around me and shredded the fields right after. This seems to help the seed get to the ground.

Last year we ploanted Florlina and Marshall in side by side areas, drilled into short grazed fescue. Florlina came up first after a couple of weeks the Marshall caught it. The first ice storm both died with equal speed.

interesting, dun, i was going to suggest marshall because of its resistance to cold...maybe it just doesn't get cold enough here to matter...

xbred":1bp7vitd said:
interesting, dun, i was going to suggest marshall because of its resistance to cold...maybe it just doesn't get cold enough here to matter...

In normal, whatever that is, years there is a lot of rye grass grown for early spring grazing, not so much for the winter. But a 2 inch coating of ice for a week from the mild icestorm was probably a bit more then it was designed for.

Best way I found is to broadcast 50 pounds per acre and you will get a real good stand. Try and do this before a good rain.

That would be 100 lbs an acre. I should hope you'd have a good stand. I'd call it throwning money away too.

From what I've read and the chart on my drill, I'd drill it at about 20 lbs an acre.

bgm":gjnlfp72 said:
Best way I found is to broadcast 50 pounds per acre and you will get a real good stand. Try and do this before a good rain.

That would be 100 lbs an acre. I should hope you'd have a good stand. I'd call it throwning money away too.

From what I've read and the chart on my drill, I'd drill it at about 20 lbs an acre.

I don't see how you get 100 lbs per acre out of 50. Your right about drilling 20 to 25 lns per acre or broadcasting 35 to 50 lbs. per acre. Marshall has shown to yield more than Gulf here in East Texas, probably because it hangs on a little longer. Noble Foundation in Ardmore , OK has some good data on yields that show Marshall being significantly higher in yield. I guess it depends on how far north you are.

Latest posts