Bring Back A Coastal Field

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
A field in Walker County Texas was once coastal Bermuda. A ten acre section of it has been cleared of persimmon saplings with a root grubber and basal bark treatments of Remedy and diesel. The remaining plants that need to go are greenbriar and smutgrass as well as some easier to get rid of goat weed and dogfennel. Velpar is not an option because of close proximity of the field to oak trees. I don't think a broadcast application of 1 quart or glyphosate will control the greenbriar not sure about the smutgrass. Does it make sense to plow with a moldboard behind the 4020 the disk the sandy loam, roll it firm, and keep cattle off of it for a while with an electric wire. The results of a soil sample should be back in a few days. Will the coastal return? Maybe 50 percent of the ten acres is 75 percent smutgrass. Maybe 30 percent of the ten acres is thick with greenbriar. With the goal of returning the field to coastal for hay and grazing what should I do? Thanks for any comments.

True Grit Farms":29d5rwxo said:
I would find someone to sprig the field with a hybrid Bermuda grass. Doing all that work for half the yield doesn't make sense.

I agree sprig and disc, coastal loves the disc and what the disc doesn't get old fashioned 2-4-D will.

That green briar will give you fits. Tough son of a gun to kill out. It will laugh at glyphosate. Its usually best to attack it in winter with remedy and diesel. It will need to be treated numerous times.
I would rather have mesquite trees than green briar. Unfortunately, I have both.

University of Florida has some good articles about dealing with smutgrass. They give criteria for renovating pasture to get rid of smutgrass. If the wicked stuff is that thick and velpar isn't an option it may be the only option. The only chemicals that will kill it are glyphosate and velpar. I hate smutgrass!!!!!

True Grit Farms":1t8e9ja5 said:
I would find someone to sprig the field with a hybrid Bermuda grass. Doing all that work for half the yield doesn't make sense.
Coastal is a hybrid bermuda grass. I get five 6x4 rolls/acre with mine if it gets rain enough. You know some other kind that makes twice that? I don't know anything about smutgrass, but if glyphosate kills it then I'd spray glyphosate on it because it won't kill coastal bermuda.

ga.prime":2js31n3c said:
True Grit Farms":2js31n3c said:
Coastal is a hybrid bermuda grass. I get five 6x4 rolls/acre with mine if it gets rain enough. You know some other kind that makes twice that? I don't know anything about smutgrass, but if glyphosate kills it then I'd spray glyphosate on it because it won't kill coastal bermuda.

Dr. Dennis Hancock of UGA did a eight year study on production between a lot of different warm season grasses. And here's his results. When you add the RFQ - DMI into the equation T85 and Russell produce twice as much forage per acre.

That's interesting but there are other considerations. You remember when Furman P. was county agent? Many years ago I asked him about changing my hayfield over from coastal to Tift 85 or one of the other newer hybrids and he said "heck no, you don't want to do that".

ga.prime":j2zng5kl said:
That's interesting but there are other considerations. You remember when Furman P. was county agent? Many years ago I asked him about changing my hayfield over from coastal to Tift 85 or one of the other newer hybrids and he said "heck no, you don't want to do that".

Although I would not change a field from Coastal to Tifton I would not plant Coastal instead of Tifton.

Tifton will grow circles around Coastal.

ga.prime":cq7pbe7p said:

A lot of things have changed from years ago. I don't want to get stuck in the past like CB. :D

The best way to deal with smutgrass is to either wick it with Velpar or spot spray it with Velpar. I'd hit the greenbriar with Remedy and it will knock it back and once you get your bermuda back on track I would think frequent cuttings along with the occasional sprayings with Remedy will put the greenbriar in retreat. In other words, focus your effort on the smutgrass and the other will fall in place. JMO

Brute 23":3ros545e said:
ga.prime":3ros545e said:

Although I would not change a field from Coastal to Tifton I would not plant Coastal instead of Tifton.

That's what I'm saying.

Greenbriar means different things to different people, but I'm guessing in this case you're talking about members of the genus smilax. It will not thrive or survive in a pasture setting. Don't waste any time or money trying to control it.

Brute 23":3smyizo1 said:
ga.prime":3smyizo1 said:

Are you talking Tifton 9?
If so the Argentine will take it over.

Caustic Burno":5k5fcq6v said:
Brute 23":5k5fcq6v said:
ga.prime":5k5fcq6v said:

Are you talking Tifton 9?
If so the Argentine will take it over.

ga.prime":2cb4ioh2 said:
Greenbriar means different things to different people, but I'm guessing in this case you're talking about members of the genus smilax. It will not thrive or survive in a pasture setting. Don't waste any time or money trying to control it.

He most likely has this and I think it is what you are also talking about.

http://rangeplants.tamu.edu/plant/greenbriar/

It thrives in sandy soil and is mostly found around trees and fence lines. While it is not usually a big problem in open pasture, it starts under trees and then starts expanding into large areas around these trees taking over small bits pasture as it goes. I have seen it start with a couple runners along a fence and in a few years it will be a 30' wide band 100 yards long along the same fence. It also makes your barb wire rust out. I would say its worth trying to control.

bird dog":3ajh0wqf said:
ga.prime":3ajh0wqf said:
I would say its worth trying to control.
The best way ( and only way in my opinion) to control it is to keep it cut back. That's a natural side effect of pasture usage and maintenance. The tender new growth will be grazed by cows and deer and every other animal that walks by. The tubers supporting the smilax vines can only take so much of that before expiration. Keeping your fence lines clean is necessary but does not require targeting of smilax. If you eliminate shrubs, plants, and trees that smilax climbs on, smilax will go away. I know all about smilax. :D

Will the mold board plow eliminate or significantly reduce the greenbriar? Or are the tuber roots too deep?

The tubers are fixed in place and will grow into large clumps so it is highly likely that plowing will only make the problem worse. This is why I suggested treating the smutgrass then wearing the smilax down. You can knock it back with remedy but until you kill the root it will keep coming back. Like GP is saying, mowing and regular hay maintenance will work on the tuber and it will eventually starve and die.

Latest posts