Bridge in Minnisota

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
vs_cattle":3j85git1 said:
Does anyone know why the bridge fell?

Not yet. The infastructure across this country is in terrible shape. The American Society of Civil Engineers has been warning us about bridges and highways since 1991. They released a report in 1993 that as 27% of US bridges (160,000) are obsolete or deficient. It's a terrible thing, but that so many survived to tell their tale is wonderful.

I agree with Frankie. It is a wonder that this sort of thing doesn't happen around here with all the old bridges and the tankers driving over them daily. They were never designed to handle that kind of weight all the time.

It is a terrible situation. I read about it last night.

Lammie":77qlkhlk said:
I agree with Frankie. It is a wonder that this sort of thing doesn't happen around here with all the old bridges and the tankers driving over them daily. They were never designed to handle that kind of weight all the time.

It is a terrible situation. I read about it last night.

It was great how bystanders helped people. Apparently some went into the water to help people get out of their cards.

Frankie":3cgs1thd said:
vs_cattle":3cgs1thd said:

Not yet. The infastructure across this country is in terrible shape. The American Society of Civil Engineers has been warning us about bridges and highways since 1991. They released a report in 1993 that as 27% of US bridges (160,000) are obsolete or deficient. It's a terrible thing, but that so many survived to tell their tale is wonderful.

Yea, if we could get some people off of these "Social" programs that were enacted by the Dems, we would have plenty of money for infrastructure. :roll:

Back in April up in San Fransico a part of a on ramp gave way on to another section of hwy last time I went traffic in that area was worser then ever had to take a detour through residential area in SF

I was looking at the pictures this morning and they were really scary. I think they will find a lot more folks there dead before it is all said and done. What an awful thing.

cattleluvr18":2r6k15wn said:
werent they doin some kinda construction on it??

That's what the news said. Our local paper said this morning that all but one construction worker has been accounted for.

I'll sure be nervous next time I go over the Mississippi at Memphis. And yes, it's always under construction.

One of my kids crosses the bridge everyday. Yesterday he took the Cedar avenue bridge. Construction on the bridge had two lanes closed. On a normal day without construction all lanes are bumper to bumper at about 10 15 miles an hour at the time of day the bridge went down. It could have been a whole lot worse.
There was only a fraction the weight on the bridge that there normally would be. Makes me think one or more of the workers did something awfully wrong.

Why not":1ceyfsj6 said:
Here's another realistic thought. As you travel through construction sites look at the make up of workers. most of these guys never even seen the sixth grade but they are workin on our infrastructure present and future. Cheap uneducated labor will net shoddy unsafe work every time. One gets what they pay for.

I'm afraid I would tend to disagree. My Grandfather, (2nd grade education at best), taught himself to read and write using the Bible and newspapers. Until he retired in the 60's was a bridge builder.

I also work in construction, though not bridges. Most of the people I work with do not hold degrees, but were taught their skills from hands on training. I would a whole lot rather have a house built by an experienced carpenter, than one fresh out of school with an engineering degree. What looks good on paper doesn't always work in the field.

Why not":179dsgl6 said:
Here's another realistic thought. As you travel through construction sites look at the make up of workers. most of these guys never even seen the sixth grade but they are workin on our infrastructure present and future. Cheap uneducated labor will net shoddy unsafe work every time. One gets what they pay for.

What do you think of when you see someone working with faded blue jeans, stained t-shirt, shoes with holes, hair uncombed, etc.?

I don't know where "right there" is Why not but get a bit of a clue. From what I have read of your posts you seem to be a passionate individual, but you like to talk in absolutes, and to me it seems you would like to get that "group momentum" behind, for each cause you speak of. And that is your choice.

But, a construction worker, and I think you can apply this concept to many industries, is that, a construction worker. In my area, West Central Wisconsin, a construction worker is a coveted job, for the right individual. And every construction worker I personally know, has had at least one year of higher education, through a technical institution. But they are still only a construction worker, overseen by supervisors, who have a multitude of years experience, who are over seen by project manager, and engineers, etc etc.

If Why not you gullible enough to think that a construction worker is the be all end all of what happens on our country's transportation system based on your geographic area of "right there", then please tell us where "right there" is so I stay away.

Michele

PS I travel this bridge on occasion, and I thank my lucky stars yesterday was not one of those days. It is a sad day around her as we wait to find out on the recovery mission that is taking place.

warpaint":3po6o8h5 said:
Why not":3po6o8h5 said:

I'm afraid I would tend to disagree. My Grandfather, (2nd grade education at best), taught hisself to read and write using the Bible and newspapers. Until he retired in the 60's was a bridge builder.

I also work in construction, though not bridges. Most of the people I work with do not hold degrees, but were taught their skills from hands on training. I would a whole lot rather have a house built by an experienced carpenter, than one fresh out of school with an engineering degree. What looks good on paper doesn't always work in the field.

Kudos warpaint!! My dad saw the 5th grade three times. Everyone laugh if you want. His dad died putting up hay on Christmas day. Guess what he was the oldest son at age 11, so supporting the family fell to him. He had 5 brothers and sisters who graduated from high school. He also taught himself to read using the Bible after serving in WWII and receiving a Purple Heart. Many honorable men (and women) walk this earth daily without a formal education. I consider my dad one of the smartest men I know. And at 83, he has retired twice once from the Federal Govt with 37 years, once as a part-time School bus driver, and he has now worked his current job for 28 years and doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon. DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY THE COVER!!!!!!!

farmwife":2o2wbh90 said:
Why not":2o2wbh90 said:

What do you think of when you see someone working with faded blue jeans, stained t-shirt, shoes with holes, hair uncombed, etc.?

I'll just go ahead and answer for you Why Not. If you were sitting at my computer screen you would see a college graduate (Master's Degree) in Agriculture and Secondary Education. I don't mean to brag, but if you saw me in your community on most days you would never believe that I work more than a minimum wage job if that.

I think it's time to make ammends and back of your previous statement!!!!!!! :mad:

Why not":2ei7m9nh said:
Cheap labor gets cheap skills. IT IS NOT ABOUT QUALITY ANY MORE IN THIS COUNTRY RATHER QUANITY OR THE MOST BUCKS WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OF INPUT. All one has to do is look no further thatn the problems associated with chinese imports. The retailer dont give a rats behind about quality but rather quanity and todays profits.

For quality one has to look no further than when the kubota tractors initaly hit the dealerships. Dealers quit selling them because they were so well built and they did not sell any replacement parts.

The people i am talking about on these sites are a lot of illegals who are happy with 20 in a house getting high and drinking every day. If they cannot even get a drivers license and buy insurance and be financially resposible or If they have no concerns about their own they dont care about the quality on a bridge or highway project. Yes in todays world education is important and i beleive their are many who dont have an education that are quality workers. Let me put it one more way plain and simple if they dont care enough to respect the american people and our laws they dang sure dont care about anything else.

I for one dont judge a person on how they dress but rather how they respect laws others and their family. iF YOU CANNOT SEE THAT THE WHOLE WORLD IS OPERATED BY GREED AND NOT NEED OR QUANITY AND NOT QUALITY. Or political affiliation rather than correctness. This is the norm today rather than an ocassional occurance.

I am in the construction bussiness and quality is what comes first. If one does quality the bottom line will take care of its self. I see a constant supply of people who care about one thing the pay check. Not the customer or craftsmanship but the pay check. Gone are the days of pride in ones work dedication to employers by employees and vise versa.

We have cattle and they are a resposibility and there is no halfa-- ways. My grandpa said do it right or dont do it. He was half cherokee and a alcoholic but he still gave it his all outside of getting drunk. Course he even did that good cant say as i ever remember seein him half way drunk. ;-)

I have been married near 40 years people ask how. I never go to bed mad we dont rehash old stuff unless it happens again and we constantly fight. Everyone fights of course in marriage our fights are ones that matters we fight to stay married loving inspite of looks shortcomings or faults.

In marriage, life work or what ever our best is what matters. If one dont care about laws , or how they live or being financially responsible by having a drivers license and insurance you will never convince me the job they perform is quality or matters to them.

In your first post, that's exactly what you said -- you said just look at who is working these sites -- never seent he 6th grade. Now you're ranting about imports, illegals, etc. I agree that our country is in a complete mess in most areas, however you really need to be careful with your words. Say what you mean instead of laying out a blanket statement of offense. BTW here's a newsflash for you -- not all hispanics in our country are illegals!! AND not all of the hispanics in our country are focused on drinking and getting high every night!!

GO RANT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

I do not think this was a cause of someone doing something wrong, I tend to think it was structural from wear and tear, nothing lasts forever no matter how well it is built, just a fact of life, more inspections are needed for all bridges across the USA. This however is no comfort to the families who lost someone or the ones still unaccounted for. Seems we pay taxes for this reason for our roads and highways to be safe, but I wonder just how many of them are on the verge of collapsing like this one did? Kind of scary, I knew there was a reason I hate bridges.

Gail

MikeC":nvxd4hs5 said:
Frankie":nvxd4hs5 said:
vs_cattle":nvxd4hs5 said:

Yea, if we could get some people off of these "Social" programs that were enacted by the Dems, we would have plenty of money for infrastructure. :roll:

Or if we spent just one month's 10 BILLION we're spending in Iraq.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts