Bridge in Minnisota

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in MO, I often wonder if everything isn't under construction. Recently in the St. Louis area a piece of a bridge fell to the highway below (no injuries), but drew attention to this very subject for the concerns of the (state's) roads and bridges. I try not to think as a drive over and under them that they were probably built by the lowest bidder. :roll:

Why not, you come across as smug and overbearing with your absolute opinions on everything. It's just easier to skip your posts because they are almost always biased and inflammatory.

warpaint":2jh486vk said:
Why not":2jh486vk said:
Here's another realistic thought. As you travel through construction sites look at the make up of workers. most of these guys never even seen the sixth grade but they are workin on our infrastructure present and future. Cheap uneducated labor will net shoddy unsafe work every time. One gets what they pay for.

I'm afraid I would tend to disagree. My Grandfather, (2nd grade education at best), taught himself to read and write using the Bible and newspapers. Until he retired in the 60's was a bridge builder.

I also work in construction, though not bridges. Most of the people I work with do not hold degrees, but were taught their skills from hands on training. I would a whole lot rather have a house built by an experienced carpenter, than one fresh out of school with an engineering degree. What looks good on paper doesn't always work in the field.

Bridges fail from time to time. I know of several collapses. It is rare but not unheard of. To my knowledge, none of the collapses have been traced to inferior workmanship.

I wonder if there was a balance problem in this (Minnesota) case. Two lanes closed, two open in each direction. Did that upset the balance?? Bumper to bumper vehicles and lots of vibration from idling engines. If you leave your tractor idling and stationary on the ice road, it eventually cracks the ice it is standing on.

The answer to this will be interesting to those of us not directly involved in the horror. And maybe more so to those involved. I hope there is a review which looks at EVERY possibility. And suggests solutions.

Why not":26w7fvyx said:
Double A":26w7fvyx said:
Here in MO, I often wonder if everything isn't under construction. Recently in the St. Louis area a piece of a bridge fell to the highway below (no injuries), but drew attention to this very subject for the concerns of the (state's) roads and bridges. I try not to think as a drive over and under them that they were probably built by the lowest bidder. :roll:

Lowest bids means low wages which means labor that dont know what they are doing and dont care what or how they are doing. Taking pride in ones work comes with a price its called a living wage!

I will repeat myself... construction jobs are coveted here, work done on gov't property (such as roads) are paid prevailing wages. You do get (with exception) very good workers in experience and knowledge. That is here, in Wisconsin, and I know for a fact that is how it is in Minnesota, and Iowa as well. Obviously I cannot speak for "right there".

Michele

Why not":3irxizef said:
Lowest bids means low wages which means labor that dont know what they are doing and dont care what or how they are doing. Taking pride in ones work comes with a price its called a living wage!

Careful about making or placing stereotypes and generalized statements. My husband and I both work construction. I graduated college with a bachelor's degree.

Lowest bid on a state or federally funded project, in this case a bridge has both -- means prevailing wages meaning union scale. The union training programs -- both in schooling they do away from the job and on-the-job training last for a period of 4 to 6 years for them to get through.

This incident is a horrible tragedy, our hearts go out to those families whose lives were lost, and the answer as to "Why"... is likely a result of a complicated sequence of events including the engineers that detailed the sequencing of work (which happens first and the activities that follow)... that sequence is developed by a licensed professional engineer and dictates the exact sequence of activities for every bridge construction/remodel/retrofit has to follow, mandatory on all bridge projects and is part of the bidding instructions each bidder receives.

Bridge projects also have at least 3 inspection agencies: 1 hired by the contractor, 1 by the state, and 1 by the feds... if the contractor or their employees vary from the required sequence at all... the stop work orders are issued.

"Why not" -- it's okay to call it like you see it, but in the world today a little filtering and common courtesy go a long way.

Why not.......... go away?

It seems to me, that you like traveling in the middle of the road, as you accuse others of doing.

If , my friend, you are here simply to argue for the sake of arguing, Why not? look up our old friend TTCLM? I'm sure he would oblige!

Why not...

In answer to your pm,

Yes, I am from where the KKK is from. Cudo's on your history!

That does not mean, and I in no way implied anything racist. I simply said, if all you want to do is argue, there is a better way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts