Breeds of bulls you've had in the past

Help Support CattleToday:

Limousin ( now BGRT Proper Choice )
Limousin ( now JCL Full Force )
Simmental in the early 90's pulled almost every calf
Angus in the mid 90's calves wouldnt grow

Limousin is it for me , Ive had seen the difference in person.

semen is avaliable on Proper Choice and Full Force , contact us or Grass Roots genetics

Had Herford in the 60'S . Then went in the service . Findly in the 80'sgot back to Red and Black Angus in Nevada. In the 90's went to Beefmaster in Texas and a big mistake. In the late 90's back to black angus and quit having calving trouble and trouble with bulls fighting. CB still need some rain any you have extra i will take and pay for. Gooo luck to all

endebt":2hvrsjhi said:
Had Herford in the 60'S . Then went in the service . Findly in the 80'sgot back to Red and Black Angus in Nevada. In the 90's went to Beefmaster in Texas and a big mistake. In the late 90's back to black angus and quit having calving trouble and trouble with bulls fighting. CB still need some rain any you have extra i will take and pay for. Gooo luck to all

Wish I could have sent half your way.

Wow!

I thought I had a variety. I'm hoping to buy a Horned Hereford next year for those grey brahman cows dad said he would buy me. :cboy:

In order of use over the years as I recall:

Angus (commercial bull)
Brangus (commercial bull)
LimAngus
Angus (Currently in use)
Gelbvieh (Currently in use)
Limo (Currently in use)
Balancer (Currently in use)

Breeds I have owned and most of them I will never own again.

Black Angus
Jersey
Holstein
Chianina
Hereford, polled and horned
Longhorn
Limousin, red and black
Simmental
Beefmaster (for 4 days)
Brangus (for a week)
Watusi
British Whites
Charlois

Well, I guess we are lacking in the adventurous spirit! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. Black Angus (early 70's and before)
2. Murray Grey (started breeding up in late 70's, and still have them)

Here are the ones that I have had in order 1.Santa Gertrudis (Never Again) 2.Hereford(Good Bull) 3.Black Limo(Good Bull) 4.Charlois(Nice but to big and to many sleepless nights) 5.Black Angus(Current Bull with some excellent calves)

limousin
still have some Punch cows
currently using
jcl red arrowhead out of arrowhead
m&r keystone out of wulf's keystone
cwlr pc red guardian out of wulf' guardian
cwlr lakotas cowboy out of auto dually
also ai

KenB":309jvmip said:
mbdear":309jvmip said:

Angus
Red Brahman
Santa Gertrudis
Beefmaster
Angus
Grey Brahman
Longhorn

:?: Do you retain heifers?
Over the years I have retained quite a few heifers. We crossed the brahman bulls on small, short Angus cows back in the fifties trying to get some size, weight, milk, etc. Those heifers were retained and crossed back to Angus.

During the sixties, we ventured off into trying Santa Gertrudis That foray did not last very long. They seemed to have a problem with fertility and maintaining condition (moving from strong grass country to East Texas didn't help any.

The beefmasters took up most of the seventies and have been gone for years.

All of our fullblood brahman herd is made up of retained heifers. Several years ago during a drought I bought a few registered older, bred brahman cows out of a herd in South Texas with the intent of putting a Horned Herford bull on them for tiger stripes. I enjoyed being around the fullblood calves so much that I couldn't bring myself to crossing them up. Last year I put a registered Angus with the brahman herd. He lived a pampered life prior to my getting him and he is having a hard time acquiring the ability to thrive under the conditions of his new home (good supply of tender, green grass and free choice minerals) so the calves are still fullbloods. :oops: I toyed with the idea of selling all of the brahmans (mainly because of my age) but when I walk through the herd I can recall several of the cows mommas and grandmommas and the calves they have raised. They meet me at the gate when its time to move. Any disposition problems have long since been culled. Sheaths are still a problem but I'm working on that.
The longhorns are here because I enjoy being around them. They are easy to tell apart. They are very laid back, easy to work cattle. Those that wont wean a good calf wont stay around long.

Hope this clears things up...I figured you thought that the herd was probably 1/2 longhorn, 1/4 grey brahman, 1/8 beefmaster, 1/16 Santa Gertrudis, 1/32 Red Brahman, and finally 1/64 angus
:lol:

Very interesting to see what everyone has used before. I did forget to add that in the Late 60'S and all through the 70"s, we had Char bulls then went to buying Black Angus bulls and now back at the Hereford. :cboy:

mbdear":7i0usmva said:
KenB":7i0usmva said:
mbdear":7i0usmva said:

Angus
Red Brahman
Santa Gertrudis
Beefmaster
Angus
Grey Brahman
Longhorn

:?: Do you retain heifers?
Over the years I have retained quite a few heifers. We crossed the brahman bulls on small, short Angus cows back in the fifties trying to get some size, weight, milk, etc. Those heifers were retained and crossed back to Angus.

During the sixties, we ventured off into trying Santa Gertrudis That foray did not last very long. They seemed to have a problem with fertility and maintaining condition (moving from strong grass country to East Texas didn't help any.

The beefmasters took up most of the seventies and have been gone for years.

All of our fullblood brahman herd is made up of retained heifers. Several years ago during a drought I bought a few registered older, bred brahman cows out of a herd in South Texas with the intent of putting a Horned Herford bull on them for tiger stripes. I enjoyed being around the fullblood calves so much that I couldn't bring myself to crossing them up. Last year I put a registered Angus with the brahman herd. He lived a pampered life prior to my getting him and he is having a hard time acquiring the ability to thrive under the conditions of his new home (good supply of tender, green grass and free choice minerals) so the calves are still fullbloods. :oops: I toyed with the idea of selling all of the brahmans (mainly because of my age) but when I walk through the herd I can recall several of the cows mommas and grandmommas and the calves they have raised. They meet me at the gate when its time to move. Any disposition problems have long since been culled. Sheaths are still a problem but I'm working on that.
The longhorns are here because I enjoy being around them. They are easy to tell apart. They are very laid back, easy to work cattle. Those that wont wean a good calf wont stay around long.

Hope this clears things up...I figured you thought that the herd was probably 1/2 longhorn, 1/4 grey brahman, 1/8 beefmaster, 1/16 Santa Gertrudis, 1/32 Red Brahman, and finally 1/64 angus
:lol:

:) No I didn't think that you keep all of the various crosses.
I did wonder which ones it would be if you kept any.
Thanks for setting me straight.

I borrowed a Santa Gertrudis bull while at school. bought my first Tuli bull in 1970.
Bred Tuli bloodstock, and some F1 Simmental for a particular customer, otherwise all Tuli untillI went to England for a few years during which we kept North Devon. In the U.S., back to Tuli,but no bulls at present, all A.I. for the short term, to build up bloodlines.

Angus
Simmental (Fleck and new style)
SimmAngus
Gelbvieh
Neighbor's ##@@&*!! Charlais

Latest posts