Breeding pregnant cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

BAGTIC

Reaction score
Why would a bull repeatedly try to breed with a cow that is already very pregnant?

Are they just like humans, whenever and wherever the urge hits them?

Smells, I guess pheromones can confuse them. If it's all cows itt may be the bull but if it's just one cow she apparantly has a smell about her that makes him think she's in heat. I've frequently seen very pregnant cows mount other cows that are close o calving.

In another thread a guy posted something about a young bull sticking to one cow. I have never heard of that but who knows. It is in the thread asking someone to rate a young bull i think in the Beginners Board

Susie David":1y3ub4gp said:
Yes...the bull will breed the same cow over again during the same cycle.
Toruble with some virgin bulls is that some fall in love with one cow and will breed her over and over and ignore the other gals waiting in line.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not...Dmc

CattleHand":150bfq16 said:
In another thread a guy posted something about a young bull sticking to one cow. I have never heard of that but who knows. It is in the thread asking someone to rate a young bull i think in the Beginners Board

Susie David":150bfq16 said:
Yes...the bull will breed the same cow over again during the same cycle.
Toruble with some virgin bulls is that some fall in love with one cow and will breed her over and over and ignore the other gals waiting in line.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not...Dmc
This is very true. Our bull fell in love with a homely looking heifer. Their love affair lasted a couple of months or so. I decided to take the heifer to have her palpated. She was 5 months bred.
During his "affair" he would ignore others that were in heat.So I move the heifer to a different pasture. It broke her heart ,but he found plenty to do after she was gone.

Thanks all for the information. It and the answers to my other question are strangely comforting to someone who, like me, is new at cattle.

I live in far southern Missouri just south of the ice storms. For the past week we have been fogged in, haven't seen the sun since I don't know when. The weather seems to be having a strange effect on my little herd of seventeen. I have calves, cows, bulls, running around, chasing anyone and everyone, anywhere and everywhere. I swear it has been like spring break a regular orgy, bisexual at that.

Apparently it is a case of 'In spring a young he/she's mind turns to thoughts of...' being brought on by the unseasonably spring like weather.

Smell I suppose. I've seen a couple of times when a virgin bull would try to breed a cow when she was about to calve and had feet sticking out.

I guess that smell is the same one that comes from the "buller" steers that are used in studs to make the bulls jump for semen collection?

I've frequently seen very pregnant cows mount other cows that are close o calving.

When a cow is pregnant she has elevated levels of progesterone right before calving the progesterone level falls of and there is a spike of estrogen which is the primary hormone involved in a cow being in heat. This change could easily confuse a bull into thinking a cow that is about to calve is in heat. As far as mid term type stuff there could be several different things happening, aborted and in heat, false heat, randy bull.....

Joy of Texas":2snwj338 said:
This is very true. Our bull fell in love with a homely looking heifer. Their love affair lasted a couple of months or so. I decided to take the heifer to have her palpated. She was 5 months bred.
During his "affair" he would ignore others that were in heat.So I move the heifer to a different pasture. It broke her heart ,but he found plenty to do after she was gone.

Maybe she was his first.

Joy of Texas":ya53t9u7 said:
This is very true. Our bull fell in love with a homely looking heifer.

Thats not true Joy ~
I've seen your cattle, not a homely one in the bunch! ;-)

My son has an old show heifer that is 6 months bred. We,ve palpated twice thinking she was open. Seems that every time something else comes in she will also stand to be ridden just like she's in standing heat. Asked the female tech at the Vets why she thought that would happen. Her scientific expalnation?
"The Cow is just a Huzzie!"

Hormones.
This is very common with pregnant cows the vet was out last year and we were discussing it as my bull was trying to breed a cow while she was actually calving.The legs were out and everything.He left her alone when she went to lay down;she had a healthy bull calf who was up and drinking in 15 minutes.

Dr.U said it is completely "normal",or should I say common.

Latest posts