breeding older cows

Help Support CattleToday:

flbullrider

Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate mathematical "miscalculation", aka "bad business sense with a complicated deal", I got stuck with 2 older cows - between 11 and 13 years old. Both are in OK physical appearance and behavior.

My original intention was to "flip" em at the sale barn for a quick but small buck. But upon further calculation, doing this now will result in a loss around $400. So I've contemplated breedin' em to get a couple calves to balance it out.

I don't have any background on 'em, so I'll have to get a BSE done. $$$. Then feed em for 10 months $$$. Hope some nice calves come out. And no vet visits in between.

Anyone have any experience with breeding cows of this age?

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

id say if they pass the breeding examine id go ahead an feed then 30 days and then turn them with the bull even in 6 months if not bred youve put 300lbs on them an thats $150 a hd gain scott

bigbull338":35msqwzg said:
id say if they pass the breeding examine id go ahead an feed then 30 days and then turn them with the bull even in 6 months if not bred youve put 300lbs on them an thats $150 a hd gain scott

If their not already in their best shape today with good pastures (he said they were OK shape ... that my be their best???), I kind of find it hard to believe that 10 to 13 year old cows are going to gain that much for the next 6 months.

If they look like a cow you would want, keep her. Otherwise cut your loses.

maybe i should have done this as a poll ;-)

50-50 for now :)

I'm also a little worried the herd bull might be a little rough on 'em. Was thinkin maybe I should AI - but that definetly gets cost restrictive. No way am I gonna crank that much money.

Just curious, what breed are they?

Two things come to mind immediately concerning breeding older cattle. First, can they sustain an acceptable body condition (without spending a fortune on grain) to allow them to breed back? If not, the answer is clear. Send them to the sale barn. Second, what condition are their udders in? It won't do you any good to get a calf on the ground that can't nurse. I've seen cattle with good udders and the ability to sustain body condition, calf until they are 14 - 16 years old, some even older. The 11 year old should certainly produce more young, but that's all depending on what kind of stock she is. Poor quality animals can even get culled at 3 - 4 years old.

dont see how they could have dropped $200 each so fast but thats not the point. sure they are past their prime but a lot of cows will calve at that age. i wouldnt throw good money after bad with vet fees. i would either sell em now or turn em out with your other cows or turn em in with a bull if your not running bulls year round. if they havent bred in three months sell em. if they have then take your chances and hope for two pairs or at least sell them heavy bred. unless something is bad wrong with them they should not drop another $200 in that amount of time. unless the market tanks but thats a whole other set of worries.

Heavily Brahman influenced? If so, they might have a little longer estimated productive life. I assume they are in fact "open" --- if so, do you know when they last calved? And how long, if at all, they have been running with bulls? What are their teeth like? Been eating Bahia all their lives? Without knowing anything more, if I were to vote in a poll I'd vote to send em down the road now and use the proceeds for ??? Don't hold em just because you think you made a bad deal and think you'd have a loss -- water under the bridge. I've done that a time or two with securities investments, only to lose even more!

Got a 14 year old and a 10 year old that breed every year and alwasy raise good calves. Maybe not quite up to what they did at 7 but still in the top 15% of the herd. The old girl is a black Angus the youngster is a Red Angus.

dun

flbullrider":1y4u5h41 said:
Due to an unfortunate mathematical "miscalculation", aka "bad business sense with a complicated deal", I got stuck with 2 older cows - between 11 and 13 years old. Both are in OK physical appearance and behavior.

My original intention was to "flip" em at the sale barn for a quick but small buck. But upon further calculation, doing this now will result in a loss around $400. So I've contemplated breedin' em to get a couple calves to balance it out.

I don't have any background on 'em, so I'll have to get a BSE done. $$$. Then feed em for 10 months $$$. Hope some nice calves come out. And no vet visits in between.

Anyone have any experience with breeding cows of this age?

Hell son them Bramers are good for at least anonther 3 or so calfs. I hauled a couple for my old neighbor this year both were 19 or 20 with a calf on there side.

If they'er sound breed them. I've 5 cows over 12 and they have some of the best calves. All it takes is on calf to make up most of your lost money.

Angus Guy":37i2udib said:
If they'er sound breed them. I've 5 cows over 12 and they have some of the best calves. All it takes is on calf to make up most of your lost money.

Those older cows most of the time make the best mothers also. Most of the time no calving problems either. Just watch their body conditions. Notice I said most a lot, there are exceptions.

Hey flbullrider. I just took a 20 year old to the market last month. She had real nice calves up until she was 19. She missed calving at 19 so we put wheels under her. She was a home grown horned hereford/angus cross. I still have two that are ~10 years old still in great shape and still calve every year. Got grass? Got bull? Got calves as far as I can see.

My cows are Texas Longhorn so they tend to produce longer than alot of other breeds other than Brahman influenced cows but we have several 12 and 13 year old cows that are as sound as a five year old. Have one old gal that turned 16 back in February and she has a nice bull calf on her. We keep them with the bull all the time. If they tend to go down condition wise in winter time I might give them a little extra feed but other than that nothing else. They should do fine for you unless there's some obvious problems that you see.

Rustler9":2nds71np said:
My cows are Texas Longhorn so they tend to produce longer than alot of other breeds other than Brahman influenced cows but we have several 12 and 13 year old cows that are as sound as a five year old. Have one old gal that turned 16 back in February and she has a nice bull calf on her. We keep them with the bull all the time. If they tend to go down condition wise in winter time I might give them a little extra feed but other than that nothing else. They should do fine for you unless there's some obvious problems that you see.

So tell me Rustler9, how do get those things in a squeeze chute? :?:

rwtherefords":18mynnz9 said:
Just curious, what breed are they?

Two things come to mind immediately concerning breeding older cattle. First, can they sustain an acceptable body condition (without spending a fortune on grain) to allow them to breed back? If not, the answer is clear. Send them to the sale barn. Second, what condition are their udders in? It won't do you any good to get a calf on the ground that can't nurse. I've seen cattle with good udders and the ability to sustain body condition, calf until they are 14 - 16 years old, some even older. The 11 year old should certainly produce more young, but that's all depending on what kind of stock she is. Poor quality animals can even get culled at 3 - 4 years old.

They're both red angus, and appear in overall good general condition - just old. I haven't closely inspected the udders, but nothing stands out given a quick look over. Anything in particular to look for on a cow of this age?

brokenmouth":3vzwhly0 said:
dont see how they could have dropped $200 each so fast but thats not the point. sure they are past their prime but a lot of cows will calve at that age. i wouldnt throw good money after bad with vet fees. i would either sell em now or turn em out with your other cows or turn em in with a bull if your not running bulls year round. if they havent bred in three months sell em. if they have then take your chances and hope for two pairs or at least sell them heavy bred. unless something is bad wrong with them they should not drop another $200 in that amount of time. unless the market tanks but thats a whole other set of worries.

In this situation, the value of the animals didn't "drop" per say. I bought a lot of 3 yearling bulls, a bull calf and these two cows. The bulls I intend to keep - I was going to "flip" the cows but in the complexity of the math I somehow miscalculated and offered more for the lot.

Out here the prices are still pretty good:

Okeechobee Livestock Auction - Report - Tue - (06/07)

This week: 2358 Last week: 1777 Last year: 2565

Compared to last week: Slaughter cows and bulls were near steady. Feeder steers
and heifers were unevenly steady with instances $5.00 higher. Feeder steers and
heifers under 600 lbs 81 percent, (49 percent steers, 32 percent heifers), over
600 lbs 4 percent (1 percent steers, 3 percent heifers), slaughter cows and
bulls 15 percent.

Slaughter Cows Breaker 75-80%
Wt Range Avg Wt Price Range Avg Price
1305-1570 1412 62.50-64.00 63.06 High Dressing

Slaughter Cows Boner 80-85%
Wt Range Avg Wt Price Range Avg Price
815-890 851 53.00-58.00 54.81