Breed of dog

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom

Reaction score
We are thinking about getting another dog for the kids for Christmas. We have a black lab now. We have had a blue heeler but they tend to "herd" the cows when they are not suposed to and it really irritated dad because he thinks dogs are worthless. What other "family" dogs do you suggest other than labs. We are not looking for a working dog, just a kid dog.

I'd go to the nearest SPCA. They will more than likely have a dog that would fit your family and you'd be saving it's life. We have done this twice and were happy both times. You should also check the web for descriptions of different breeds. The Border Collie is on the top of the list for inteligence and I believe the dashound is on or near the bottom. Both are just as lovable though.

Pat

ok, after working for a vet, i have seen lots of breeds & have some preferences. i hope no one takes offense to any of these because they're just my opinion.

dogs not for kids: spitz, chow, rott, doberman, pit (i'm sure just as in cattle there are examples of each of these that are good w/kids but as a rule, these breeds are not "kids dogs")

dogs i don't like: chihuahua, poodle & pretty much any fu-fu type dog.

heelers are my personal favorite but they're not always the best choice for kids. we've never had a problem w/them herding cows (that's a habit that can easily be stopped before it becomes a habit). border collies & shepherds are probably next if you want a pet/working dog combo. another lab would be a good choice for a kids' dog.

other choices that should be good w/kids: cockers (preferably inside dog & i guess if you're husband doesn't like dogs it surely won't be in the house. cockers also tend to "leak" when the get excited.), schnauzers, beagles (usually really good kids dogs), dachshunds, shelties, collies, rat terriers.

here are other breeds i like but i'm not sure if they're good w/kids: weimars, ridgebacks.

i agree that a "mutt" from the local shelter could also be a good option. sometimes they make the best dogs.

i'm sure i'm forgetting some but this might give you some ideas.

I have an Austrailian Sheppard. He helps me break the show calves. He also sleeps inside. Loves the kids and the kids can and waller all over him and he plays nice. He hates my Dad. Dad likes to play rough with the kids, often gets them down and tickles them. "Baron" will show his teeth and growel at him. Of course he hates dogs and they cam sence that. But a stranger will never be able to walk onto this place and take one of my kids or calves. I love my aussies, but get them as pups, so you can teach them not to herd the kids!!

I think you cannot beat a Golden Retreiver for kids. I also have an Australian Sheppard & they are good if raised as a puppy with kids(then can tend to be a little shy with kids they aren't used to) I have Tibetan Terriers too that are great with kids also.

Agree that a mutt is hard to beat. Another porch dog you might consider is a boxer. They will not go hunting like a retriever and will not try to herd the cows. They can tend to be hyper but are usually gentle with kids. They are heck on skunks, possums, coons, armadillos and other varmints and will be protective of the kids when strangers show up, four legged or two legged.

Craig-TX

Maybe not a suggestion since you already said you had one, but Labs are just darn hard to beat. Especially with kids. Very gentle, loving and protective if provoked. Another Lab would be a good choice in my opinion. Living in the south, I would stay away from anything long haired. Too many sticky things to get caught in their hair. Sandspurs and such.

Just consider a Pembroke Welch Corgi. They are some of the most amazing little animals. They are outstanding with children and get along well with other dogs. They were bred to do a little herding, but can be given other tasks instead. They are so friendly...I could go on and on and on.....

I actually don't have one right now--wish I did! I have 3 Great Pyrenees (great with kids and animals) and a 1/2 Australian Shepherd 1/2 blue heeler. Love them all!

If you get a Corgi, please post a picture!!!

txshowmom":3iw9at13 said:
We are thinking about getting another dog for the kids for Christmas.

PASS":3iw9at13 said:
I'd go to the nearest SPCA.
:stop: :mad: Showmom, I know we can depend on you to pass on the advice from PASS. And for anyone else, please don't contribute to the coffers of these animal rights activists through adoption fees. There are other ways to save pets that won't fund agendas that are contrary to what we do in animal production agriculture.

SPCA would have to be on everybody's top ten list of a/r groups that are most dangerous to those of us in the livestock industry. They're probably number three on mine, behind only PETA and ALF. And they may actually be more dangerous than those two groups because of their apparent "respectability."

I agree that saving a pet is a nice thing to do. But so is saving a cattleman.

Texan":uwciko7k said:
txshowmom":uwciko7k said:
We are thinking about getting another dog for the kids for Christmas.

PASS":uwciko7k said:
I'd go to the nearest SPCA.
:stop: :mad: Showmom, I know we can depend on you to pass on the advice from PASS. And for anyone else, please don't contribute to the coffers of these animal rights activists through adoption fees. There are other ways to save pets that won't fund agendas that are contrary to what we do in animal production agriculture.

SPCA would have to be on everybody's top ten list of a/r groups that are most dangerous to those of us in the livestock industry. They're probably number three on mine, behind only PETA and ALF. And they may actually be more dangerous than those two groups because of their apparent "respectability."

I agree that saving a pet is a nice thing to do. But so is saving a cattleman.

You can count on me I won't be supporting ANY of those organizations!

Our shelter here is run by the county-not by the AR groups mentioned above. That's where my current Aussie came from and in many ways she has turned out to be the best one of the 3 I've had. My boys love her and she loves them. I would defy anyone to try to hurt either of them or walk into the house uninvited if she is around. Outside of that any friend of ours is her friend too. Sometimes to the point of being a pest. Another idea to bypass the SPCA and other groups like them-If you decide what breed you want,nearly every breed has rescue organizations whose members take in lost and unwanted dogs of that breed to find homes for them. A little internet research will weed out the people who have agendas you can't abide and find the ones you are comfortable supporting.

There was no agenda intended by me. A question was ask and I tried to answer. This board has become dominated by clickish people that seem to want to put down anyone new joining in on the conversations.

That's it for me .......

PASS":2hpoxgzu said:
There was no agenda intended by me. A question was ask and I tried to answer. This board has become dominated by clickish people that seem to want to put down anyone new joining in on the conversations.

That's it for me .......

PASS,

i don't think Texan was putting you down but was just trying to remind everyone that there are organizations out there that are very damaging to the cattle industry and our livelihoods. we need to keep this in mind when giving them our support (even if our support is well-intended). your idea was a good one, but there are better choices than the SPCA. as several others mentioned, the local pounds are usually run by the county and are not affiliated w/AR groups.

please don't take offense & hang in here w/us!

It isn't the SPCA that's the problem it's the human society of the united states. The latter group counts on the confusion with the other human society to fund it's coffers, along with the wack jobs that support these types of nut cases.
If you have the temperment for it, dogs from the various breed rescue associations are also good places to look.

dun

I went to a Golden Retreiver rescue place in Dallas. They interrogated me and demanded that if I got the dog I HAD to keep it inside. I explained I had 150 acres, 3 ponds, 3 kids, off road, etc, they said must be indoor dog,and they had the option of inspection, I said Bye-Bye. The Golden I bought from a normal person is quite happy and refuses to come in the house.

texasmortgageman":2ms295sl said:
I went to a Golden Retreiver rescue place in Dallas. They interrogated me and demanded that if I got the dog I HAD to keep it inside. I explained I had 150 acres, 3 ponds, 3 kids, off road, etc, they said must be indoor dog,and they had the option of inspection, I said Bye-Bye. The Golden I bought from a normal person is quite happy and refuses to come in the house.

Liberal radical tree huggers.

texasmortgageman":nvgsckyx said:

I'll agree there are some real idiots that run some of the rescue ogranizations. But there are those that feel that the dog should be used for what it was bred for.. Some organizations make it harder to get a dog then to adopt a kid.

dun

We had 2 1/2 border collie 1/2 Aussie. These two were by far the best dogs I ever had. Both never gave us a problem. We lost the older on after she bit a boy that decided to beat on my son. The other is just as protective, is excellent with my kids, and for some reason dosen't like my father in law

b l h":v2di319n said:
We had 2 1/2 border collie 1/2 Aussie. These two were by far the best dogs I ever had. Both never gave us a problem. We lost the older on after she bit a boy that decided to beat on my son. The other is just as protective, is excellent with my kids, and for some reason dosen't like my father in law

Don't tell anyone I told you but if it was me I would put him on probation for awhile....some of those BC/Aussie crosses have pretty good instincts (just kidding, of course). Both breeds are something special in my book.

Latest posts